White drone (photo)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
A picture of a white Drone i came across last year in one of my hives. First time I ever seen one

Attachments

• IMAG1407_1.jpg
    IMAG1407_1.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 185
looks like a drone that just hatched and needs its exoskeleton to harden still.

The eyes are black which indicates it is a leucistic drone. Potentially, it could be used for breeding and possibly a pale queen could be produced. It would be very interesting to see how this combines with the cordovan gene.

someone told me somewhere that albino insects dont get pink eyes due to an insects eyes been a completely different structure.

someone told me somewhere that albino insects dont get pink eyes due to an insects eyes been a completely different structure.

Albino eyes are pink because the blood vessels are reflected. Some albino animals that normally have a coloured reflective layer can show blue or green eyes.
Bees don't have blood vessels in their eyes

Color mutant drones I have seen had a variation in eye color, usually a deep red or brown instead of black. The drone pictured has black eyes suggesting an exoskeleton affecting mutation as compared with a general pigment mutation.

It would be interesting to see if that colony produces more drones with similar color this year. This could still just be a newly emerged drone that will darken with time.

Another mutant from a few years ago

Attachments

• purple eye drone 003.jpg
    purple eye drone 003.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 59
A picture of a white Drone i came across last year in one of my hives. First time I ever seen one

I have seen a couple of white eyed drones, over the last few years, but never a complete white drone. The white eyed drones are blind due to a genetic mutation.

Back