Which would you prefer: smaller frames and more boxes, or larger frames and fewer boxes?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
Hello everyone

If sharing frames with other beekeepers was not an issue and frame availability was not an issue, which of the following two situations would you have preferred:

Option 1: A hive whose brood nest consists of two standard brood boxes on top of each other.
Option 2: A hive whose brood nest consists one single brood box that is the same size as two standard brood boxes, using frames that are twice as big as standard brood frames.

I realise that beekeepers in the UK and US also often use jumbo sized boxes, but my question to you would be the same: would you prefer two separate boxes or would you prefer a single "double storey" sized box with matching frame size?

A single, larger brood box would have the advantage that you only need to check half as many frames during inspections and manipulations. Two boxes, however, make it possible to manipulate the hive by switching the boxes around (is that a common thing to do?). Two boxes also make transporting the hive easier if you can't carry heavy weights, although a single box might also be easier to transport since you don't have to worry about the brood nest separating.

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to either of these options that you think is useful to know, for a new beekeeper who wants to decide which option to use?

Thanks
Samuel

Last edited:
The weight of a brood frame twice the size of say a national would be difficult to inspect, with just brood in. Imagine how heavy if it was loaded with honey.

The weight of a brood frame twice the size of say a national would be difficult to inspect, with just brood in. Imagine how heavy if it was loaded with honey.

Yes, a single National brood frame full of honey would be about 2.5 kg, right? That means that a double frame would be 5 kg. You would not be able to wave it around like the single frame, and would have to inspect it diagonally or by hanging it from a frame holder.

Anyway, the idea behind my question is not to use these large frames for honey supers, only for the brood box (which also contains honey, of course).

I use Jumbo Langs, which are about the same size as Dadant, I'm happy with them and whenever I see a standard national brood frame I think they're very small.

Weight of individual frames isn't really an issue, I've never had a frame collapse during and inspection. Full brood boxes don't need to be moved very often.

The larger frames mean there's less need to go brood and a half or double brood, which in turn means the bees don't have to cross any gap between the top of one frame and the lower edge of the next - something they wouldn't do in nature.

Option 1: A hive whose brood nest consists of two standard brood boxes on top of each other.

would you prefer two separate boxes or would you prefer a single "double storey" sized box with matching frame size?

Yes, op 1,plus all other boxes the same size, easier and faster for swarm checks, with much less disturbance, more options for swarm control, rotation of frames, queen rearing ect.

Last edited:
Hello everyone

If sharing frames with other beekeepers was not an issue and frame availability was not an issue, which of the following two situations would you have preferred:

Option 2: A hive whose brood nest consists one single brood box that is the same size as two standard brood boxes, using frames that are twice as big as standard brood frames.

I realise that beekeepers in the UK and US also often use jumbo sized boxes, but my question to you would be the same: would you prefer two separate boxes or would you prefer a single "double storey" sized box with matching frame size?

A single, larger brood box would have the advantage that you only need to check half as many frames during inspections and manipulations. Two boxes, however, make it possible to manipulate the hive by switching the boxes around (is that a common thing to do?). Two boxes also make transporting the hive easier if you can't carry heavy weights, although a single box might also be easier to transport since you don't have to worry about the brood nest separating.

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to either of these options that you think is useful to know, for a new beekeeper who wants to decide which option to use?

Thanks
Samuel

I use 14 x 12 (inches) brood box and shallow honey supers. This is how I started and I have no reason to change. The extra deep brood gives plenty of laying room and stores space for winter. The shallow supers are lighter for removal to inspect.

Yes, op 1,plus all other boxes the same size, easier and faster for swarm checks, with much less disturbance, more options for swarm control, rotation of frames, queen rearing ect.

+1
Option 1 - more options available as above.

Yes.....having moved to the 14 x 12 route and ending up with brood and a shallow anyway I might return to standard nationals and go double brood. Really easy swarm control.
When husband can't lift heavy boxes any more I'll have to move to a TBH ;)

Same size boxes/frames. Brood nest expand or reduce depending of situation or necessity. Options are numerous, and many I still have to learn.
" One size fits all":)

At my place langstroth root hive is considered as hive for beginners.
LR hive - Lako Radna košnica ( easy working hive), as some will say here for that hive. I like that "translation".

I have commercials and nationals and often change my mind as to which is best. I certainly wouldnt want to go bigger than a commercial brood box or smaller than a national, but for me its six of one and half a dozen of the other between the advantages of the single larger brood box of the commercials or the greater flexibility of single or double brood national, and national brood boxes also make a high capacity super at about the limits of what you'd want to manhandle lots of full of honey.

I currently have jumbo LS, standard LS and nationals.
It is a hobby so I like playing around.
To me it's horses for courses.
Jumbos for honey, no need to move brood boxes, easy to inspect with 9 frames. Overwinter in a single brood box. For smaller colonies run 7 or 8 frames.

Standard langs for queen rearing. Double brood is useful. Also, these boxes can be run as a single with the darker bees in this area and I overwinter them on single brood. Of all the frames these feel most comfortable in my hand.

Nationals only because I have some very cheap kit and I may sell some nucs.
Nationals are a pain, aways need double brood and ridiculously long frame lugs.

For jumbo frames I put in one horizontal reinforcing wire ( wired foundation).

Long term I may cut down the jumbos and go all standard langs. Plenty of time still to decide.

Back