Affordable bee suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you get what you pay for. My NBS suit is still going strong after 5 years, washes well and only a bit of wear on the hive pocket so far. I also bought a Swienty Breeze last year when it was roasting hot but I am selling it as i'm tall-ish but slim (on the small side of a size 12) and it's all too bulky round my skinny wrists so the gloves won't stay on properly and there is too much material round my legs & ankles. Annoying as i've only worn it once. so went back to my NBS suit with minimal clothes underneath (ooer!)
I am thinking of getting another suit though as with inspections and swarm calls, my suit is spending more time in the wash than on me!

I prefer a jacket and thick jeans to a suit. However, this morning I found myself sharing the hood with two bees. Fortunately they came from a very calm colony and allowed me to take my jacket off without stinging me.

I suspect they came in from the hem. The jacket has a drawstring but this never seems to tighten up sufficiently. There are always potential gaps. The cuffs are Velcro, giving a terrific seal and easily released when I move away.

Does anyone do Velcro tighteners for jackets? I have there on a biking jacket and they provide a terrific seal. I might speak to my local alteration tailor about this.

I just took delivery of an AGS 3 layer suit, which seems well made, and fits. XL, I'm 5'9". Sadly it has a few issues and will have to go back.

Sleeves very voluminous, though I could sort that with a bit of stockinette over them.
Cuffs baggy and not beeproof around my wrists - I often work bare-handed.
Lots of fabric around the neck impedes the movement of the lower veil loop so when I look down the veil fabric collapses inwards and touches my face. Some stiffening between the rings would probably fix this.

Shame - if they could sort these issues I'd be happy! It would certainly be much cooler.

Cuffs baggy and not beeproof around my wrists - I often work bare-handed.
buy a pair of gauntlets then, I have used them for years as I've never trusted the cuffs on a suit.

buy a pair of gauntlets then, I have used them for years as I've never trusted the cuffs on a suit.
If it was a single problem with the suit I'd sort it, but multiple means it will go back. The veil issue is the major problem.

My AGS airmesh suit came on Monday.
Not used is anger, but 2XL seems to fit me (6'4", 90kg) reasonably well- a little short in the body, but nothing major.

Sleeves are voluminous, as mentioned, but I'll cope with that, as they actually reach my wrists. For less than £40, I've no complaints so far.

Absolutely. My wife made mine from the sleeves of an old beekeeping jacket. It's a huge boost to confidence knowing that nothing is going to crawl up inside one's cuffs.

James

the cuffs of my Marigolds over the top of the cuffs of my sleeves
For my current colony - I go for the full she-bang - as they have proven that if there is even a smidgen of a gap - they will form a conga line and charge through.

I double glove: One set of marigolds under the bee suit cuffs; then another set of marigolds over the top of the bee suit cuffs. Then gaffa-tape gluing the marigolds to the bee suit. I also gaffa-tape the bee suit legs to the wellies. They go mad at the gaffa-tape - thumping & stinging the tape.

I also have to gaffa-tape both zip ends on the hood both inside & out; front & back. I've found I can use low quality cheap gaffa-tape on the cuffs & wellies; but I've found if I use low quality gaffa-tape on the hood - determined guards will still dig through and make their dissatisfaction felt.

After all this it at least gives me a "feeling" of safety.

For my current colony - I go for the full she-bang - as they have proven that if there is even a smidgen of a gap - they will form a conga line and charge through.

I double glove: One set of marigolds under the bee suit cuffs; then another set of marigolds over the top of the bee suit cuffs. Then gaffa-tape gluing the marigolds to the bee suit. I also gaffa-tape the bee suit legs to the wellies. They go mad at the gaffa-tape - thumping & stinging the tape.

I also have to gaffa-tape both zip ends on the hood both inside & out; front & back. I've found I can use low quality cheap gaffa-tape on the cuffs & wellies; but I've found if I use low quality gaffa-tape on the hood - determined guards will still dig through and make their dissatisfaction felt.

After all this it at least gives me a "feeling" of safety.
All colonies have off days, but if you are experiencing that sort of behaviour every time you work with your bees it might be worth considering replacing the queen.

might be worth considering replacing the queen
Thanks for your concern.
A new queen was introduced at the beginning of this month. I'm giving them 6-8weeks for the genetics to change. Will then decide what to do with them if no change after that period. However, once "stung heaps"; "twice paranoid"! or something like that...

Thanks for your concern.
A new queen was introduced at the beginning of this month. I'm giving them 6-8weeks for the genetics to change. Will then decide what to do with them if no change after that period. However, once "stung heaps"; "twice paranoid"! or something like that...
Good luck. I hope the new queen makes all the difference for you.

Likewise, I have the cuffs of my Marigolds over the top of the cuffs of my sleeves. Not had any interlopers in several years.
Remember that bees seem to mostly crawl upwards. Hence trousers/beesuit legs go INSIDE wellies. If a jacket is worn tuck it inside the waist of trousers and use a belt. Sleeves/cuffs are covered by the gloves or use short gauntlets and never trust an elasticated hem - they always seem to leave a gap somewhere when you move or flex. Similarly an over large suit/jacket always has folds where bees can get trapped and panic which can lead to a sting on the body.

Not yet had one bee try to walk up inside my smock , never yet bothered to tuck in to my over trousers.

Back