Which poly hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swienty uses 100g/l polystyrene, while Paynes uses 133g/l polystyrene.

Are you sure?

Not 100%.
Abelo sells 160g/l poly, so I know different densities are used.
I'm sure Swienty sells 100g/l because it says so on their site.
Maisemore also uses 100g/l poly and they state that it's 3 times denser than normal packing poly.
Paynes say that their poly is 4 times denser than packing poly, but don't state the actual density so I deduced it'd be 133g/l.

I remember reading somewhere that someone uses 133g/l poly, but wasn't able to find the figure.

EDIT:
I take that back. They state 4 times the density in the category description, but in the description of the single items they actually state 100g/l, so I was wrong.

The lyson national poly sold by abelo has the same outside dimensions as a wooden national and the swienty poly national but have eleven frames thus a tardis

Does anybody know the insulation value of the new Lyson (Abelo) hive (160g/l) compared to Swienties and the other poly hives (100g/l)? Is the Abelo hive's insulation better than wood?
Kitta

Hmmm... Maybe I've found where to store the filter floss for my aquariums :D

I find a bit of that plant fleece rolled up loosely works pretty well too especially wrapped around a top feeder in an eke.

It seems harder and isn't of the compressed ball type

Ok if it's more dense material then it could be harder but less insulating so not sure how that equates to superior.

Think we might be arguing apples and pears.

My girls don't seem to be objecting to their new (poly) home.

E6718351-461E-4B50-B4A4-9E03BA1BDC8B_zpse5hx5lun.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Think we might be arguing apples and pears.

Not really. Having used both, it's the paynes that's being chewed not swienty.
Far too much BS with the various types, wall thickness, roof thickness,the bees will be fine in any of them, same as they will be in wooden hives. It's just a matter of personal choice.
As for compatibility, at 500mm dimensions, I see no reason for worry when mixing paynes and maisee.
Use of wooden supers may probably be better with paynes, due to the moulded bevel which was designed as a run off. I think the maisee polys are flush which would allow pooling.
The 500mm QE should fit both and be far tidier than fitting a 460mm framed on the hive.
Make your own floors.

Not really. Having used both, it's the paynes that's being chewed not swienty.
Far too much BS with the various types, wall thickness, roof thickness,the bees will be fine in any of them, same as they will be in wooden hives. It's just a matter of personal choice.
As for compatibility, at 500mm dimensions, I see no reason for worry when mixing paynes and maisee.
Use of wooden supers may probably be better with paynes, due to the moulded bevel which was designed as a run off. I think the maisee polys are flush which would allow pooling.
The 500mm QE should fit both and be far tidier than fitting a 460mm framed on the hive.
Make your own floors.

Maybe they just taste better than wood and the other plastic offered and they will be fine in a dustbin as well.

As an aside its 23 degrees here today and winds have dropped and I've been sitting watching the hive shown above and see drones leaving and returning so there's propably some good time girls out their getting inseminated.

You need DerekM

None of them are actually bad, if you have a favourite supplier and they have a good deal, go for it. The issue of compatibility with wooden floors and roofs is not such a big deal as the poly is cheap in comparison. I'm heading towards having enough poly for the over-wintering colonies and using the wooden hives for the extra capacity needed for AS and all the other un-expected events in the summer.

None of them are actually bad, if you have a favourite supplier and they have a good deal, go for it. The issue of compatibility with wooden floors and roofs is not such a big deal as the poly is cheap in comparison. I'm heading towards having enough poly for the over-wintering colonies and using the wooden hives for the extra capacity needed for AS and all the other un-expected events in the summer.

Sounds like a good plan, I was thinking along the same lines.

Indeed, that's what I ended up deciding I'd do.
I can't see poly going "out of fashion" any time soon, and an established supplier is unlikely to go out of business. Even if that happens I can phase out the one and phase in the other as and when necessary.

Hi Zante, good thread and i wanted to reply and ask how you went with your selection ? did you stay with the Poly Hive?

Whilst none are actually bad, though I have had experience with a so called poly that actually turned out to be plastic and the bees never thrived in it, some are better than others. Buyer beware.

PH

Whilst none are actually bad, though I have had experience with a so called poly that actually turned out to be plastic and the bees never thrived in it, some are better than others. Buyer beware.

PH

Interesting, are there dangers i.e. over heating or do they tend to regulate and protect in extreme cold as well as heat? Is plastic specifically bad for bees?

I think it was too cold and they as I say failed to thrive and I tried two different colonies in there over a period of three years.

PH

Latest posts

Back