Which poly hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I am now sold on the poly hives, but I have to wonder: can I mix and match poly hive parts in the same way I would timber ones?
I mean, if I start getting my hive parts from, say, Maisemore, will I have to stick to those because Swienty parts aren't compatible, or something like that?
It is the impression that I got, but I would appreciate some confirmation.

Also, is there any real difference between the different poly hives from the different suppliers?

Last edited:
Just so.

It pays to check the ID of any poly to ensure compatibility. Not an issue for me as I settled on Swienty some time ago and all my kit bar a couple of timber broods are theirs.

PH

Just so.

It pays to check the ID of any poly to ensure compatibility. Not an issue for me as I settled on Swienty some time ago and all my kit bar a couple of timber broods are theirs.

PH

So, if I settle for the Maisemore ones (which so far I'm liking best for no other reason than aesthetics, but willing to be convinced otherwise) I will have to keep buying them from them (or timber ones) and won't be able to mix them with, say, Paynes' ones, correct?

Sorry to repeat myself, but I want to make absolutely clear I've understood before I commit myself.

The Maisemore ones hold eleven frames therefore the internal dimensions are the same as wood but externally they're bigger (500x500) so they wouldn't fit under a wooden roof and although wooden supers would fit they would be smaller than the poly thus will leave water in - they should be compatible with poly hives from Paynes and Beehive Supplies but not swienty.

The Maisemore ones hold eleven frames therefore the internal dimensions are the same as wood but externally they're bigger (500x500) so they wouldn't fit under a wooden roof and although wooden supers would fit they would be smaller than the poly thus will leave water in - they should be compatible with poly hives from Paynes and Beehive Supplies but not swienty.

Swienty are smaller?

Id go for the ones with the thickest roof.
My next ones come from Bee Hive a Supplies

Ok, thanks.

I will probably stick with Maisemore, mostly because I'm thinking of getting a commercial brood box, and as far as I can see they're the only ones that have them, and they sell national supers with commercial brood boxes as standard (they don't have poly commercial supers), which leads me to think that they would be more compatible than their respective timber versions.

Swienty have the same outside dimensions as a wooden national thus have only ten frames.

The lyson national poly sold by abelo has the same outside dimensions as a wooden national and the swienty poly national but have eleven frames thus a tardis

I made the same decision and as Pxxxs is just half and hour away I bought their 'National complete' offering.
Nicely moulded and all goes together.
Two coats of Summer Blue done and it's ready for populating.
As I don't have any storage (yet) at my out apiary I was going to put the whole hive up with frames in both supers and just put the top cover under the QX between the BB and first super until the girls need the space.
Does anyone else do this?

The lyson national poly sold by abelo has the same outside dimensions as a wooden national and the swienty poly national but have eleven frames thus a tardis

Maybe thinner walls?

I made the same decision and as Pxxxs is just half and hour away I bought their 'National complete' offering.
Nicely moulded and all goes together.
Two coats of Summer Blue done and it's ready for populating.
As I don't have any storage (yet) at my out apiary I was going to put the whole hive up with frames in both supers and just put the top cover under the QX between the BB and first super until the girls need the space.
Does anyone else do this?

I'm planning to keep the hive in my back garden, so I won't have that problem, but if storage space becomes an issue it could be a good idea, provided that the isolated supers don't have spaces from which the bees (or other insects) can crawl in.

I'm planning to keep the hive in my back garden, so I won't have that problem, but if storage space becomes an issue it could be a good idea, provided that the isolated supers don't have spaces from which the bees (or other insects) can crawl in.

I looked at that and just trimmed a few moulding flashes off and they fit pretty flush all over.

I like the way the BB locks onto the base too and I can see how the big landing board might be an issue if moving loads of hives at once but for me it's nice to see the girls coming and going.

Just hived a Nuc in there and they seem happy enough . . . . . . .

Id go for the ones with the thickest roof.
My next ones come from Bee Hive a Supplies

Yes, the Sweinty hives do have a thinner roof than others, although I normally leave their feeder on above the crown board all year round and fill with kingspan when not in use... seems to work a treat.

Superior how, Sir?

Swienty uses 100g/l polystyrene, while Paynes uses 133g/l polystyrene.

One could argue that the less dense poly will insulate better (arguable, but possible), but on the other side the denser material woul be more durable.
I don't know how this makes one better than the other though.

Yes, the Sweinty hives do have a thinner roof than others, although I normally leave their feeder on above the crown board all year round and fill with kingspan when not in use... seems to work a treat.

Hmmm... Maybe I've found where to store the filter floss for my aquariums :D

Latest posts

Back