Where to Source Plastic Queen Cell Protectors?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiftyjon

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few more than 10
I am trying to source a supply of plastice queen cell protectors that can be used with a hair roller type queen cage as below:

The queen cell would be inserted into the plastic protector and then that would be pushed into the plastic cage.

Big 'T' have wire type protectors that are not what I'm after, they need to fit into the roller type plastic cages.

Any help or ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Last edited:
i don't understand - i thought the whole point of hair rollers was that they acted as both a cage for the emerging queen AND cell protector? after all workers can't get through the cage to the cell.

They are Cupkit hair roller cages.

Many beekeeping suppliers sell them big T included...

I would like to take the cell out of the roller cage and place it into a Apidea for example, so if the cell is first put into a plastic cell protector then it can be put in and taken out of the roller cage without damage.
Last week I took some cells and placed them into the roller cages that I were then going to place into the Apideas, I had some difficulty in getting the cells out of the cages to place into the prepared Apideas.
I have seen some protectors last year but don't know where to get them from, perhaps a vendor at the convention will have some.

They are Cupkit hair roller cages.

Many beekeeping suppliers sell them big T included...

Yes they are but I would like a plastic cell protector that can be fitted inside them, so the transfer of the cell can be done without damage.

Could you use tin foil?

Yes I could as that would protect the bees nibbling the sides of the cell, but I'm looking to be able to take the cell from out of a roller cage and place into a small hole in the top of the see-through crown board of an Apidea with the minimum disturbance.

queen breeding and rearing

change to type of cage supplied with jenter kits they will fit down through the little apidea crown board hole without having to handle the cells

if you can't get them out of the hair roller cages safely how did you get them in in the first place?

easier and cheaper to just be careful.

Your picture looks like a nicotplast cage and if so they also do a plastic holder and cap for putting a natural queen cell into which fits their cage. The link for their page is http://www.nicotplast.fr/PresentationAnglais/GBPageCadre.htm. To buy them in small quantities try Ickowicz in France or if you just want one or two send me a pm with details. PB

The cell protector you have in the picture does not fit the cage. The one for the cage is coded CNE7 with cap B2 on the nicotplast site. Ickowicz sell them as a pair ref FB041 at 28c each.

Latest posts

Back