Where did Spring go to?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
Complete white-out here...thick fog...well we are sitting in the clouds really...the bees are having a duvet day I think. Every time I go outside...I get soaked...it's like a wet blanket.
I expect everyone else is enjoying sunshine.
To cheer myself up...I'm planning my trip to Beetradex....making a LIST!

Last edited:
Wet here this morning but now skys are clearing and 13C

PH

It's worse now than it was first thing this morning. I can't even see the fence on the other side of a small paddock ...the rest of the world has vanished!

Cloudy and mild here , 1/2 an hour ago at hive I have in our office yard steady strem of foragers coming and going some returning with small amounts of Pollen

I expect everyone else is enjoying sunshine.

There was talk of a tropical weekend for some parts of the country, and the forecast for today was hot and sweaty - but instead it's mild but very overcast.

Weather forecasting must be the only job in the world where your product can be rubbish, and yet you still get to keep your job.
LJ

There was talk of a tropical weekend for some parts of the country, and the forecast for today was hot and sweaty - but instead it's mild but very overcast.

Weather forecasting must be the only job in the world where your product can be rubbish, and yet you still get to keep your job.
LJ

When all your computer models say "The world is getting warmer", it can be difficult to poke your head out of the window and see the frost.

I can hear my bees plotting a flight to sunnier climes...I'm fed up of dreary weather. There is so much I want to get done outside...it's all piling up...list upon list...arrrgh!

14c here with cloud/sunshine, but windy. Lots of bulbs flowering, but the bees are not interested - they are too busy checking out the empty hives / nucs stored at home. Serious interest in one hive with frames from dozens of exited visiting bees (not mine).
My hives are all still heavy with stores and only a few flying out for a comfort break.

Here in the Greatgreygreenslimeytamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithquangofundedvineyards...
the native Cornish black bees were out foraging on snowdrop, crocus, daphne, mahonia, dandelion and hellebore... even a couple of bluebells and even those bright yellow cellandines are out...

No sign of the yellow peril stripies,, that lot are still in eating away at the stores!

The Groundhog did predict an early Spring for this year

Yeghes da

Tremyfro, we have the same weather as you. At least it is mild, we are moving some hives to a new apiary site tomorrow, and then we have 4 offered sites to check out this week.

Tremyfro, we have the same weather as you. At least it is mild, we are moving some hives to a new apiary site tomorrow, and then we have 4 offered sites to check out this week.

I'm glad to hear I am not alone in this world .....fog is very isolating.
If you have bees in 4 different sites won't you have a lot of running about?

I'm glad to hear I am not alone in this world .....fog is very isolating.
If you have bees in 4 different sites won't you have a lot of running about?

I have memories of driving at a snail pace in fog so thick you had to open the door and follow the white line at the side of the road

"Complete white out"

The usual total exaggeration? A frost and some fog is nothing like a complete "white out". Why do people exagerate and hype things? It is only half way through February. Let's get real here!

Last edited:
We have had 3 very warm winters in a row. Just now I have about 10 cm snow.

When spring comes, its shedule does not differ much. Perhaps 2 weeks, not more.

Plants take their time table from length of the day.

15 years ago we had a special spring. Willow bloomed one month too early. Bees could not forage in willows because weather was too chilly. My bees cannot forage in under 10C temp. They only pick drinking water.

I know that british bees fly in drizzle. - But I do not believe it.

When I look next 5 days in London, temp will be between 10-15 C, but rain every day. I do not believe that your bees forage in such weather. Some bees are flying, but it is not foraging.

Last edited:
Back