When to check after introducing eggs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so the plot thickens further! I checked the hive again today but still insufficient time has elapsed for the cells to be capped, so I still don't know if worker or brood. However on checking the top super, I noticed patches of larvae. Is this further evidence of laying workers? There has been a QE on for the duration.
The hive was brood, QE, super (partly drawn but empty), second super ( fully drawn and mostly filled).
I have shaken all bees below QE, removed empty super and replaced mostly filled super.
I have a nuc next to this hive which is progressing well which I planned to unite. My plan is to check again in a few days. If capped worker brood then I have a queen in there somewhere that I have to find. If capped drone brood, then unite with the nuc over newspaper.
How does that sound?
Annoying thing is that there are loads of bees in the hive, so it would be such a shame to lose it.

If capped worker brood then I have a queen in there somewhere that I have to find. If capped drone brood, then unite with the nuc over newspaper.
How does that sound?

What makes you think that a colony with capped worker brood has a queen but one with capped drone, doesn't?

What makes you think that a colony with capped worker brood has a queen but one with capped drone, doesn't?

Well further back in the thread I introduced a frame of eggs and 10 queen cells were made. At the same time there was a huge amount of eggs layed. Some cells with 3, 4 and 5 eggs. I read these signs to be laying worker, if laying worker then only drone will result. Is that not correct? However if there is worker brood, then a queen must have layed them. Is that not correct?

Ok, so the plot thickens further! I checked the hive again today but still insufficient time has elapsed for the cells to be capped, so I still don't know if worker or brood. However on checking the top super, I noticed patches of larvae. Is this further evidence of laying workers? There has been a QE on for the duration.
The hive was brood, QE, super (partly drawn but empty), second super ( fully drawn and mostly filled).
I have shaken all bees below QE, removed empty super and replaced mostly filled super.
I have a nuc next to this hive which is progressing well which I planned to unite. My plan is to check again in a few days. If capped worker brood then I have a queen in there somewhere that I have to find. If capped drone brood, then unite with the nuc over newspaper.
How does that sound?
Annoying thing is that there are loads of bees in the hive, so it would be such a shame to lose it.

Will uniting suppress a laying worker, or will it just spoil your NUC?

In my (limited) experience, 12 hours or so after the first eggs have hatched is enough to see the bees starting to draw out a queen cell.

Well further back in the thread I introduced a frame of eggs and 10 queen cells were made. At the same time there was a huge amount of eggs layed. Some cells with 3, 4 and 5 eggs. I read these signs to be laying worker, if laying worker then only drone will result. Is that not correct? However if there is worker brood, then a queen must have layed them. Is that not correct?

I apologise for not reading the entire thread.

Latest posts

Back