When to add second super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My hive seems to be doing well. BIAS on 8 to 9 frames. I added a super about 10 days ago to relieve a little pressure space wise. The super is filling well. I would say it is about 60% full although nothing is capped. Outside frames are only partially drawn. My question is when should I add the next super, and is it worth moving the outside frames on existing super inwards. Also should I under super?

Add extra supers to provide space for bees as well as nectar ripening (not simply honey storage, definitely don't wait for capping at this time of the year).
I may have been a bit slow on adding another on one of my hives. :blush5:

Especially if you are adding brand new boxes, with foundation, better to add too early than too late.

My suggestion would be to put those part drawn frames (maybe 4 of them) from the first box, and put them into the centre of the new box, and replace them with foundation at the outside of the first box. The idea is to make a central spine, or honey ladder to draw the bees up into the top deck.

People do differ between under- and over-supering.
Generally, if there is pollen stored in the supers, it will be in the bottom one.
So - if you had drawn comb - the usual thing would be to just put the new one on top.
But with foundation, they'll probably draw it faster closer to the brood, bottom of the stack of supers. Downside is that you are likely to get more pollen stored with the honey.
So, expect advice both ways! :)

Thanks itma. Could you have a look at my other question in the beginners section as it relates to comments you made. Many thanks

Thanks Itma, I am in second year of beekeeping with one very prolific hive and one quieter. Your advice on second super was great. I have just put a second one on with foundation only underneath. Can't quite believe it as it is only April, but didn't get my first colony until April last year.

As Itma said there will be many views on this but I prefer to put an empty super on top of the BB, why, because if the bees see stores above them they will think they have done their job and will start to make preparations to swarm, I can see the logic behind this reasoning but is it true who knows but that's the reason why I do it this way. Good luck with your choice

My hive seems to be doing well. BIAS on 8 to 9 frames. I added a super about 10 days ago to relieve a little pressure space wise. The super is filling well. I would say it is about 60% full although nothing is capped. Outside frames are only partially drawn. My question is when should I add the next super, and is it worth moving the outside frames on existing super inwards. Also should I under super?

One of mine has four on (three nearly full) and I'm not on rape.

As Itma said there will be many views on this but I prefer to put an empty super on top of the BB, why, because if the bees see stores above them they will think they have done their job and will start to make preparations to swarm, I can see the logic behind this reasoning but is it true who knows but that's the reason why I do it this way. Good luck with your choice

:iagree:
One thing I would add is that I certainly would not move part drawn frames from the outside of the first and put them in the middle of the new super. Bees tend to chimney anyway without encouraging them. I'd move the partial frames into the centre of the first super to get them all equally drawn and filled and like REDWOOD, I'd put the new super between the brood chamber and the first super.

Early season when our bees are on osr, with the likely hood of cold nights . Putting a space between the brood nest and the super of osr. Will encourage granulation as the bees retreat back down and the super cools. Later on in the year when temps and the nights are are warmer yes we under super but until then no. It depends a lot on your local weather, on the coast we are normally cooler.
Last of the double broods went on to-day, maybe 1st supers on next week.
For supers with foundation in we usually put a couple of frames of comb on the outsides, as the bees usually chimney up the middle.

Second? One of mine has five on it and it's not on rape. However, two were left on over winter (don't ask) but they were empty a month ago.

However, two were left on over winter (don't ask) but they were empty a month ago.
Did they have anything in them over the winter, and then got eaten?

Latest posts

Back