Whats was your total Varroa drop after oxalic

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What was your average varroa drop after winter oxalic

• I did not do a winter oxalic treatment

Votes: 40 26.0%
  • I did not measure the varroa drop

Votes: 37 24.0%
  • less than 50 in the first week

Votes: 29 18.8%
  • 50-149 in the first week

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • 150-249 in first week

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • 250-349 in first week

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 350-449 in first week

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • 450-549 in first week

• 550- 700 in first week

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • over 700

• Total voters

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Following on from my previous varroa poll on thymol ,

can you put your average total varroa drop per hive in the week after you winter treatment of oxalic Acid

Quite suprise at thee number of beekeepers who do not measure the drop after oxalic

Why?
I never monitor them after oxalic

Too late...you can't undo it! If you don't need to do it then don't.

Two colonies showed hardly any mite drop at all after 2 days and again after 1 week. They both had brood breaks during the summer when going queenless so I guess that it might have had some effect. The third colony, however, showed a drop after 2 days of something approaching 1000!. All colonies were treated with Apiguard late summer so was surprised (horrified in fact) to see such a large drop. Thankful that they are not running around any more in the hive!

Quite suprise at thee number of beekeepers who do not measure the drop after oxalic

Well you can put a LOT of colonies in that group. We never measure varroa drop after oxalic. What would it tell us?

That we have varroa in every colony with nil or very few exceptions, and that it is in varying amounts.

Fancy spending the time preparing, inserting, removing, collecting, counting, and collating the results of 2700+ inserts...............for no real purpose other than statistic gathering. I gather plenty statistics over the season, this one is of little value.......and certainly not the minimum 40 man days this would all take.........

£ 2880 in man hours
900 in fuel
270 materials

£ 4050...............and other more important jobs undone. The information is not of that worth to me.

Just a commercial perspective on it, not relevant to most people.

i do it on a few to know that my assessment of the pre-drop monitor was correct and that they needed doing.

For OA at under 5p a treat, and relatively benign, and one man able to treat 300 a day by not wasting time sorting them out, we just do all. I know its a different mindset and agenda, but its the MID season treatment we regard as the optional extra, and give everything oxalic in winter. A lot of our issues with varroa declined sharply when we changed over to a single standard 'do every colony' winter trickle, and keep the proprietry treatments for summer emergencies ( which are very few and probably colonies that had brood at OA time).

We used to do a (small) random sample of counts, but once it got to the point that it was not telling us anything we did not already know we stopped bothering.

The mites are there, and going into spring with as few as possible is palinly the best. Even if only 10 mites in the hive I would rather bump the bulk of them off.

I always rale against prophylactic treatments, period.

Monitoring twentyish of our Commercials mid-December showed six that needed no treatment, being easily the safe side of "half a mite a day". These were hives which dropped 0 or 1 mite on the varroa board in a week....and had also dropped 0 or 1 in a week after the summer crop came off. They weren't treated with thymol. On paper these colonies needed no OA treatment either.

ALL got OA - and the drops on those in a week checked today were 75+...some 200+.

Natural drop is a cr*p indicator. OA done well is an excellent treatment. Experiment over.

I agree that natural drop is a poor indicator.
One hive (a very full colony) dropped over 100 post oxalic.
The hive next to it (medium size colony) dropped 2.

Monitoring before OA only tells you how many dead mites you have found, not how many live ones you have. If I treat one hive I treat them all as they are in the same apiary.

i do it on a few to know that my assessment of the pre-drop monitor was correct and that they needed doing.

So damp, I don't want to leave the boards in to check. Will check another time.

Monitoring before OA only tells you how many dead mites you have found, not how many live ones you have. If I treat one hive I treat them all as they are in the same apiary.

Most of mites drop down during 2 first weeks.

In warm weather lots of mites bees carry out. Lots of mites drop into empty cells and you get drops in Spring which are actually died in Winter.

But never mind.
If your hive is in safe, you should have under 10 living mites after winter.
Over 10 mites will propagate themselves to the critical 1000 mites line before September.

One hive (a very full colony) dropped over 100 post oxalic.

While 'over 100' is fairly indeterminate, it is likely (as in result was not out by 50% - a 200 drop), the treatment was simply not required for the health of the bees for over-wintering that is for fairly certain.

Thus far, it would apprear that of the 28 voters, only three have actually demonstrated the real need for any action against varroa at this time. Wally whatsisname in Beecraft said only 10% actually need oxalic treatment in winter, so about right, probably.

I always rale against prophylactic treatments, period.

Monitoring twentyish of our Commercials mid-December showed six that needed no treatment, being easily the safe side of "half a mite a day". These were hives which dropped 0 or 1 mite on the varroa board in a week....and had also dropped 0 or 1 in a week after the summer crop came off. They weren't treated with thymol. On paper these colonies needed no OA treatment either.

ALL got OA - and the drops on those in a week checked today were 75+...some 200+.

Natural drop is a cr*p indicator. OA done well is an excellent treatment. Experiment over.

i am coming to the same conclusion, this years i did all mine except one i forgot in a field 20 miles away and marginal Nucs that i using to hold queens for spring

Last edited:
It was 102 actually, should have been specific.
So, what post oxalic drop level would you say justifies the treatment?

It was 102 actually, should have been specific.

No it wasn't. No point in trying to be so specific. For a start it was 102, plus or minus your counting error. That result would, of course, have been the minimum; you may have missed some - get my drift? Specific claims like that are always open to error.

100 mites around now in a strong colony would not worry me (read your FERA publication on 'Managing Varroa'). Later treatment, as it came necessary, would take care of the bees.

I happen to prefer other treatments when, deemed necessary, to probable unnecessary oxalic acid treatments. My choice. I cannot attribute more than one winter dead-out to varroa over the last 5 years or so - and that one particular loss was as likely something other than varroa related.

Yes, that is 100 mites that will not multiply in the colony, but they were never likely to kill a strong colony over the winter period. There is the problem that arises; some say you must do winter oxalic trickling - I don't. You can if you wish - that is your choice - but there are other ways, than oxalic acid trickling in the depths of winter, to maintain healthy bee colonies. The only thing I object to is when they say it MUST be done to save your bees. Just simply not true.

Out of the 14 colonies i treated. The highest one dropped 700 in 2 days one dropped 500. 5 dropped between 100 and 200. And the rest dropped between 50 and 100..

The colony I treated with Apilife Var in September, dropped 82 in the first week.

The second was a new nuc I got in July, having been told it has been treated - so I did nothing in the autumn. That one dopped c310 in the first week.

Dusty

Latest posts

Back