What's happing in my hive today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coventry bee boy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Today it's very windy out in the back garden 12.6 c. its 07.20 and there are no bee's doing anything . Compared to yesterday - 8.21 bee's where coming back with yellow and orange hind legs.

Just to remind you we have a omlet beehaus and the bee's have been here nearly a week.

they have a solid lump of came sugar - made from water sugar.

there facing south west.

I imagine they have decided it's a bit fresh out there this morning. The wind is quite cold here and I don't expect to see much flying today, and my garden hive is always active before the ones in my out apiary.

The forecast is for it to get colder over the next couple of days so don't expect to see much action.

This time last year we were still in the frozen depths of winter.

If it's cold then leave them alone, they should be fine as long as they have food. Don't be tempted to open the hive to check they are ok.

They are having a lay in.
Give them an hour or so and with that temperature they will be out collecting water, pollen and nectar if available.
It's a bit dull here at the moment, quite mild and breezy, saw 1 bee at half 6, by half 8 they will be out in force.
They may also be doing the housework in their new home.

Your other thread said about keeping them warm, they do that themselves, in a std hive you can add some top insulation, not sure about your hive choice as never looked in one. If they are a small colony or nuc maybe you could dummy them and add insulation after the last frame, although again I have no idea if you even have frames in your style of hive.

bees do what THEY want not what you think they should .
they'll be out when it warms up.

an old guy told me the other day he was married twice, to his wife and his bees and they both let him think he is in charge.
made me smile :)

Last edited:
What a wise old guy...
Leave bees to know best and only intervene if they need assistance.
Same with we women!

Ah! Women :) offer assistance and you insult their capabilities, don't offer assistance and you don't care enough :) .
I'd tether predict the weather for the next Olympics than the reaction from a dear lady :D
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And here's me thinking it was a picnic hamper :D .
Sorry Coventry Boy, the beehaus has been discussed for hours on here!
VM

Stand by for action :D
The majority aren't in favour of the beehaus !
However there are devotees so expect more than a little controversy :)
VM

I would not worry. Assume it's a nucleus as you only got the bees last week. They may just be indoors keeping what brood they have warm.
Wait until the next warmish day and take a look to put your mind at ease. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

assuming we are talking a recently acquired nuc rather than full colony.

presumably you installed the nuc frames in the beehaus, perhaps with one or at most 2 frames of foundation and a dummy board?

or have you added a load of new frames?

bees would benefit from some space limitation while temps aren't great and they are a small colony.

but bees aren't stupid - cool windy day is time to stay indoors. warmer and still = out and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back