What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are lots alongside the road I take to work, loads of hedgerows with Blackthorn in them where we walk the dog - I've picked buckets full of sloes in years past to make sloe gin. I'm not sure which part of Hampshire is devoid of Blackthorn but it's certainly not the part that I live in. I'll post some photos when they finally come into blossom.
I think I don't know how to work the interactive map, which is unfortunate :cry:. I've decided I'm hopeless at interactive maps. Your'e probably in an excellent area!

You're probably good with them. Can you work it out?

Interestingly, according to this distribution map, Hampshire doesn't look to be a particularly good area for Blackthorn?
Norfolk and West Wales look brilliant in comparison.

http://www.wildflowerweb.co.uk/plant/55/blackthorn
If you look a bit further into the Interactive map it shows that there is distribution in Southern Hampshire on a par with distribution across most of the country - it's a very common hedgerow species.

I think I don't know how to work the interactive map, which is unfortunate :cry:. I've decided I'm hopeless at interactive maps. Your'e probably in an excellent area!

You're probably good with them. Can you work it out?
The interactive map shows the recorded distribution of the species as recorded in the surveys in the various periods since surveys commenced in 1930. The darker the brown the more prevalent the species. Hampshire, generally, appears to be no less populated with Blackthorn than most areas of the UK. Although, Wales, does have more concentrated populations of Blackthorn and a lot of UK areas.

The interactive map shows the recorded distribution of the species as recorded in the surveys in the various periods since surveys commenced in 1930. The darker the brown the more prevalent the species. Hampshire, generally, appears to be no less populated with Blackthorn than most areas of the UK. Although, Wales, does have more concentrated populations of Blackthorn and a lot of UK areas.
Am I reading it correctly to see concentrations around Leicester?

I am pretty sure all these blackthorn photos are wild cherry......totally different. Go back to the bushes in summer and try the fruit.

Interestingly, according to this distribution map, Hampshire doesn't look to be a particularly good area for Blackthorn?
Norfolk and West Wales look brilliant in comparison.

http://www.wildflowerweb.co.uk/plant/55/blackthorn
Thanks for the link to this website - new to me. FYI, the dense distribution of blackthorn 'in Norfolk' shown is actually both Norfolk and adjacent Suffolk - my county. We South Folk don't like being grouped with the North Folk........;)
Blackthorn is out - no cherry round here

Last edited:
Am I reading it correctly to see concentrations around Leicester?
Most of it in my garden 😀 It really is extremely prevalent in Leicestershire. In my experience, it generally flowers much earlier than, say, my wild cherry (prunus avium), though there are no signs of blossom here yet; though it won't be long.

We have Heliborus and probably dandelions being worked. Bees had yellow and white pollen coming in. Have lots of daffodils blooming but didn't see any bees near them. The red maples should be blooming now that the weather has warmed up.

South of Atlanta, Georgia.

Latest posts

Back