What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bramble here still flowering and setting fruit.... privet just starting to burst out and bees loving the phormium flowers and persicaria which is just starting as well.

My bees are doing nowt with the daft weather. Just scouts going out. It’s probably it for this year. Fields and fields of clover half scorched, the rest going to waste.
There is always hope. Similar up here but the clover is not scorched, but the cool and rainy weather doesn't help.

There is always hope. Similar up here but the clover is not scorched, but the cool and rainy weather doesn't help.
It's not unusual
Looking back at records, bramble has been rained off before. The difference this year is that I was lulled into a false sense of security by the stonking spring crop and the fact that there is much more clover around than there used to be in the improved grassland.

I have a few bees returning looking like they found some HB ,white dusty pollen but I'm not aware of any growing nearby.
Is there anything else that produces white pollen ?

It's not unusual
Looking back at records, bramble has been rained off before. The difference this year is that I was lulled into a false sense of security by the stonking spring crop and the fact that there is much more clover around than there used to be in the improved grassland.
I agree - the Spring crop was the best I’ve had and so I ordered another 144 jars…..most of which may not be used this year after all.
The good thing is there’s not a glass moth to destroy them over Winter! Always look on the bright side🤗

...................... there is much more clover around than there used to be in the improved grassland.
Exactly the same here. My "concern" is that the heather around here will clog everything up, I find it difficult to deal with. I'll probably put manley frames on shortly with thin foundation and use it as cut comb if needs bee. Have you had any success with sections? I've never tried them up here at all.

I agree - the Spring crop was the best I’ve had and so I ordered another 144 jars…..most of which may not be used this year after all.
The good thing is there’s not a glass moth to destroy them over Winter! Always look on the bright side🤗
Just done the same thing last night!!!!

I have a few bees returning looking like they found some HB ,white dusty pollen but I'm not aware of any growing nearby.
Is there anything else that produces white pollen ?
Yes , Malva'a are in flower and produce lots of pollen. Lavatera is one that is common and comes to mind, pollinators have to get pass the heavily loaded anthers to access the nectar.

HB will almost grow anywhere if very wet /damp, running water isn't a neccessity.

Two days ago drove the 45 miles to the Suffolk Coast and Heaths ANOB to assess the heather. I've taken a couple of hives to Westleton Heath several times over the last few years but not last year because the drought resulted in brown rather than purple blooms. Alas, the same this year: the bell heather (Erica, flowers from late June) is more brown than purple and the ling (Calluna, flowers from August) looks dead. This area has a low rainfall and the sandy soil drains quickly.

Attachments

• 8F0B517A-C60C-4974-86BC-760BB7FF5AEE.jpeg
    8F0B517A-C60C-4974-86BC-760BB7FF5AEE.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 9CF11C99-DA36-4244-B26E-66F17E0B7670.jpeg
    9CF11C99-DA36-4244-B26E-66F17E0B7670.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Down here in Surrey, bees have only just today started to slow down foraging activity. Still occupied, but not the intense activity of last week.
Balsam has likely been brought in for weeks now. Other than that I'm seeing bright yellow pollen, really hoping it's not OSR, we don't have any commercial fields anywhere near us. There's a small-scale farm 200 mtrs from us, with it's own apiary, which is likely where one of my colonies swarmed from this year. It grows a range of pick-your-own produce, including strawberries, which are still in blossom.

Other than that, in this area Pentaglottis is in bloom for half the year.

Last edited:
Here in Northern Ireland there is plenty of nectar, lots of brambles left, rose bay willowherb has just started and lots of garden plants, hebe , mallow , lavatera in abundace in the gardens. But they only get half an hour at a time, then the next shower or thunderstorm drives them all inside so there is no surplus.

Back