What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I don’t know if you have noticed the blackthorn on the A3 at Stag Hill? That always seems early!
By work? Yes, been going for a few weeks. I blame significant warming in the area from exhaust fumes and it being a relatively sheltered location.

Whereabouts in Somerset are you? We've had dandelions popping up here and there through most of the winter. It's been very odd to see them.

James
I'm just north of the Mendips, so not particularly cold. Normally I'm a champion dandelion grower, but this year, this was the first.

Celandines they are, a whole embankment covered in them.
A source of early nectar I believe.

IMG_20230318_155437.jpg
Flowering currant - must be inspection time :LOL:
Please don't inspect yet, it's too early and too cold.

Celandines, some dandelion, blackthorn and cherry blossom around. If the weather was better I'd say there's definitely enough about that hive weights would be increasing rather than decreasing. Hopefully the weather improves before the blossom really hits its stride.

Bees were bringing in loads of pollen today, after scouting the local area I think it's cherry, though pussy willow is just starting to open too.
Spring is here! (As of about an hour ago - the equinox).

Saw my first OSR flower of the season today as I drove past a field!

I have a large rambling old chaenomeles, well overdue for pruning, which is currently very popular with the bees, despite the sparrows nipping loads of flower buds off!
92B3BE89-D753-4750-BE64-7B2342B2631F.jpeg

Driving into Taunton this afternoon I noticed three fields of what certainly appears to be OSR just on the point of flowering. Looking at the weather forecast I can't see the bees getting out of bed until at least the weekend though.

James

We’ve just driven back from Dorset/Somerset and there’s a lot of OSR around Stonehenge. It looked in really good condition green/bushy no patches in the fields and about 2ft high. Did see a few random bits in flower but am guessing it’s still a little way off yet.

OSR just starting to bloom locally. I think my bees will be on it in the next week or so..

Weight of hive in Kent in increasing for last few days (peak is evening when all foragers back and then reduces as water driven off) - has seen a small increase for last few days despite wet weather - so colonies are able to support themselves with more coming in than being used.

77917050-FC65-4A36-A3F3-0ECF4B659E06.png

Latest posts

Back