What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A relatively productive day today. It started off a bit grim and I thought I'd be stuck indoors, but later in the morning the Sun came out and it was very pleasant working outside the workshop in shorts and a t-shirt. The only real negative was the farmer who owns the fields behind us decided today was a good day to spread chicken manure, with the breeze blowing towards us. I may have gone nose-blind.

I repainted a couple of poly hives, built the four roofs I got from the bee shed yesterday, put a rim on the UFE that didn't have one and got most of the way through turning the four old section boxes into a couple of bait hives before temperatures started to drop quite sharply. According to the forecast it looks like we're in for a few chilly nights.

For an encore I somehow managed to pop the fuse on the vacuum for the table saw, so that's the first thing I need to sort out tomorrow.

James

For an encore I somehow managed to pop the fuse on the vacuum for the table saw, so that's the first thing I need to sort out tomorrow.
haven't you got any round nails?

Taken apart a treadmill I picked up for £15 and I now have a box of parts i hope will get my extractor motorised in the near future, no doubt I’ll need a few bits and bobs but I think there’s 80% of the bits needed right here
IMG_6918.jpeg

Taken apart a treadmill I picked up for £15 and I now have a box of parts i hope will get my extractor motorised in the near future, no doubt I’ll need a few bits and bobs but I think there’s 80% of the bits needed right here

Oh, look, you missed a trick there -- you could have just geared the extractor straight off the treadmill and used it to keep fit at the same time :D

James

That reminds me of scouring a grass verge for discarded cigarette boxes to use the silver foil as a get-me-home fuse on my old yamaha 650 twin from Mallory Park in the early 80's after the Trans-Atlantic Challenge Easter Races.
Barry Sheen, Kenny Roberts, Randy Mamola etc etc... swing that lamp eh?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be...
K ;)

That reminds me of scouring a grass verge for discarded cigarette boxes to use the silver foil as a get-me-home fuse on my old yamaha 650 twin from Mallory Park in the early 80's after the Trans-Atlantic Challenge Easter Races.
Barry Sheen, Kenny Roberts, Randy Mamola etc etc... swing that lamp eh?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be...
K ;)
I was probably there - Barry Sheene was sponsored by Faberge who I worked for at the time - I spent a lot of time attending UK events at which he was racing - a real gent, always happy to talk to guests that we took along to see him race, do the forerunners of 'selfies' with them and sign autographs. We had a stable of Faberge Racing personalities - but Barry and Henry Cooper were undoubtedly the two personalities who were our best ambassadors - I can't believe it's 20 years since Barry died. Sad loss ...

Attachments

• 1977barrysheene.jpg
    1977barrysheene.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
After the recent nudge from @Garry R, I realised I had the pallet wood, scrap boards and pond liner to make some roofs. Most of mine are Correx so this is quite an upgrade. Folding the liner at the inside corners is a craft I've still to master. I think each of the 20 corners done today is different to all the others. So, no repetition, no practice, no improvement. Must find a YT video if I'm ever doing this again.

After the recent nudge from @Garry R, I realised I had the pallet wood, scrap boards and pond liner to make some roofs. Most of mine are Correx so this is quite an upgrade. Folding the liner at the inside corners is a craft I've still to master. I think each of the 20 corners done today is different to all the others. So, no repetition, no practice, no improvement. Must find a YT video if I'm ever doing this again.
Try a video on painting canvas stretching and corners perhaps?
I've never seen felt or pond liner roof covering here. Sounds quite good.

Try a video on painting canvas stretching and corners perhaps?
You would think that would help but I have experience of fitting canvas on stretchers - and it didn't. The difference is that canvas is stapled to the back of the stretcher and pond liner is stapled down inside the roof.

You would think that would help but I have experience of fitting canvas on stretchers - and it didn't. The difference is that canvas is stapled to the back of the stretcher and pond liner is stapled down inside the roof.
That would be tricky.:unsure:

That would be tricky.:unsure:
I start with the pond liner by cutting out the approximate size I need. I spray a heavy duty carpet adhesive onto the roof on the flat upper part and gently spread the pond liner on with the flat of my hand avoiding wrinkles. Let it dry and then do one side the same with adhesive - straight down. Then the opposite side - straight down . Fold the next side down with "hospital corners" again with adhesive. Make sure the fold allows water to run off rather than be caught. Finish the last side similarly. I generally put one roofing felt nail in to each corner to tie it all in. Finally I trim off the surplus neatly with a Stanley knife allowing a centimetre or two of overhang which allows the rain to fall clear. One advantage is that should a leak develop it is well repaired with Gorilla tape! Insulate inside the roof. Hope the photos are OK!!

Attachments

• IMG_4261.JPG
    IMG_4261.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4260.JPG
    IMG_4260.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4259.JPG
    IMG_4259.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
I start with the pond liner by cutting out the approximate size I need. I spray a heavy duty carpet adhesive onto the roof on the flat upper part and gently spread the pond liner on with the flat of my hand avoiding wrinkles. Let it dry and then do one side the same with adhesive - straight down. Then the opposite side - straight down . Fold the next side down with "hospital corners" again with adhesive. Make sure the fold allows water to run off rather than be caught. Finish the last side similarly. I generally put one roofing felt nail in to each corner to tie it all in. Finally I trim off the surplus neatly with a Stanley knife allowing a centimetre or two of overhang which allows the rain to fall clear. One advantage is that should a leak develop it is well repaired with Gorilla tape! Insulate inside the roof. Hope the photos are OK!!
Tidy job ... very cost effective and easier to deal with the shed roofing felt.

That's great, Garry. Thanks for the detail. It didn't occur to me to glue the liner, nor to take the liner downwards only, as opposed to bringing it round the bottom of the sides and back up the inside of the roof. I'll be making more when I find more pallets. I've got enough pond liner to see me out. 😄

That's great, Garry. Thanks for the detail. It didn't occur to me to glue the liner, nor to take the liner downwards only, as opposed to bringing it round the bottom of the sides and back up the inside of the roof. I'll be making more when I find more pallets. I've got enough pond liner to see me out. 😄
At about £35 a pop for a new roof it's a no-brainer to make your own this way. Just don't put your smoker on it when inspecting!!

Carried on painting the nucs that I bought last year but they got pressed into action almost immediately when it all went a bit swarmy. Six done, just the three left to do....

Latest posts

Back