What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a few crown boards and recycled some cardboard courtesy of Paynes .

This may be an urban myth but isn't the carboard used to make boxes treated with a fire retardant in the manf process? I'm hoping your going to say no but an old beek told me this was the case and that bee's didn't like the chemicals.

This may be an urban myth but isn't the carboard used to make boxes treated with a fire retardant in the manf process? I'm hoping your going to say no but an old beek told me this was the case and that bee's didn't like the chemicals.

All I ever use for smoker. It smokes fine.

I am unsure if it is treated with fire retardant however i do know it burns and smokes well not that i use it very much.. regardless of whether it is treated or not the smoke coming from the smoker is full of chemicals anyway..;)

Finished my honey warming cabinet / beer fermentation fridge

Link: http://bit.ly/2nCeJDv
a8a17447325c2bac7096cbfc43db868f.jpg

Last edited:
Looks spot on to me... are you using two bulbs for the heat incase one blows..

Thanks. No just one. It warms up very quickly! Most I’ll ever be leaving it is overnight so I’ll soon discover a bulb failure.

Thanks. No just one. It warms up very quickly! Most I’ll ever be leaving it is overnight so I’ll soon discover a bulb failure.

Looks like the wire rack is bending a bit, bulb failure could be when it crashes down onto it.

Looks like the wire rack is bending a bit, bulb failure could be when it crashes down onto it.

Well observed! It needs strengthening.
PS: those nucs will have two of your queens in come the weekend:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Knocked up a long stand for my winter nucs out of some old 2x4.

f54e93779fe1eba4c6339ba0ab627bcd.jpg

Here is one of 4 mohogony hives I made from wood I got at work that was going I'm skip
https://image.ibb.co/fspUuK/20181003_205231.jpg

Heavy... but will last forever!

I have some mahogany hives made by Garfield Maddiver in the MTB and minesweeper repair yard in Hale, Cornwall during WW2... still in good use!!

Met his little brother Bill, now 86 and still keeping bees, today at the Callington Honey Fair!

Thanks for the pics

Chons da

Latest posts

Back