What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, JBM. But, there again, there is likely not many who know what a sash is these days!

RAB

Or how to replace a sash cord when it broke ... very regular occurrence in the 1950's and 60's before they started replacing them with a whole variety of 'new' windows ... the sash window is still a work of art as far as I'm concerned - a well balanced sash would lift with a very gentle push and once the catch was across was very secure, well maintained they could be draught proof (well almost). There is a firm in Sheffield who now replace the abortions installed in the 60's and 70's with proper timber double glazed opening sash windows - that look right on that older style of property - but, they cost a fortune.

There must be something in our genetic memory about sash windows as children still draw houses with them ...even children who have possibly never seen them !

what I have is 4 plywood boards with a 2x1 screwed to one end, I then glue and assemble the planks and rest them against the 2x1, the clamps are then placed over the 2x1 and another 2x1 that is placed at the end of the last plank, when they are pulled tight I screw the last 2x1 to the plywood board so in affect I have sandwiched the planks between 2 battens, clamps can then be removed and used on the next board and so on. If you use a fast curing clue like polyurethane they can be removed after an hour in warm weather.

Total nuisance when they break just after the window has been freshly painted!

That always seemed to be the point in time that they DID break ... I reckon unscrupulous decorators used to put a nick in the chord when they painted the windows so that it broke a few weeks later and they got another job .. in Yorkshire, as a kid, it was often the same bloke who did glazing, sash cords and painting .... our bloke also cleaned gutters and did odd carpentry jobs.

I've made a few sash windows, for replacement, before now. A modern, easier frame construction which, while cheaper to build, was less of a complete design where expansion and wear was more easily balanced and controlled. IIRC, we needed to fit draught excluders as seasonal expansion was not so well compensated in the design. Weights were more of a problem, too, if double glazing was fitted!

Not bee related but I turned this in the workshop for a Christmas present for someone, its Zebrano (Africa Hardwood) - if anyone has not used it before beware! It skinks like dog crap!

It makes really nice turned wood pens though - but you are right - it does stink until you seal it.

Nice bowl though ... but as all woodturners do ... I want to turn it over and see how good it looks underneath !!!

Spent the day fighting a cluster... A tenth of it is dead, well sort of ..

its a cluster of linux servers I use for the CFD work on bees enclosures. It t needed upgrading to the latest versions of Linux operating system(leap 42.1), High speed interconnect drivers (infiniband), parallel processing (OpenMPI), and CFD (openfoam)software. All of the Software releases about a month old, so I was expecting trouble but not myterious H/W problems.
One of the servers now wont talk to its infiniband card, its not the card, its not memory, its not the OS, drivers, s/w... its so an so murphy!

Spent the day fighting a cluster... A tenth of it is dead, well sort of ..

its a cluster of linux servers I use for the CFD work on bees enclosures. It t needed upgrading to the latest versions of Linux operating system(leap 42.1), High speed interconnect drivers (infiniband), parallel processing (OpenMPI), and CFD (openfoam)software. All of the Software releases about a month old, so I was expecting trouble but not myterious H/W problems.
One of the servers now wont talk to its infiniband card, its not the card, its not memory, its not the OS, drivers, s/w... its so an so murphy!

But I keep being told Linux is so simple and better than Windoze.. not worthy

But I keep being told Linux is so simple and better than Windoze.. not worthy

Oh from a sysops point of view it realy is.

Linux user: "One of the drives in my RAID array is failing, I'll need a replacement drive soon."

Windows user: "The last drive in my RAID array failed. Where's my data ? What's a backup ?"

Linux server motherboard failure: Replace motherboard. Reboot.

Windows server motherboard failure: Replace motherboard. Two weeks of licencing hell with every user from the MD down screaming.

Real world events at work in the past year. Hell Windows users seem to lose data big time just doing an upgrade.

Linux isn't simple, but neither is Windows. Windows just hides the complexity until you have a problem and then you are realy stuffed.

Now BT engineers have fixed the "super high speed broadband" service that is hext from the outset by overhead cable... I have ordered a new shed!

The 20x 10 Billy Oh with all the extensions was just too small... and number one son rocks up with the news that he is on jet another trip, working around the world's aquariums and can not afford the rip off price to store all his stuff!

1/2 price 8 x 10 tin Yardmaster .......

I feel a New years cull of WBCs in the offing... will replace with BHS Pollys

Will sell for more as garden ornaments I am told... outer only unrestored white flakey paint £330 each + courier delivery ???

Nadelik lowen

Windows just hides the complexity until you have a problem and then you are realy stuffed.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

But I have never heard of a nice man from Wompopo land phone you and offer to fix your Linux program for a mere $500

Microsoft do that all the time!:hairpull:

Yeghes da

Back