What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The attached link shows a commercially available trolley that I have in mind to produce from an old wheelbarrow.

It's only 100 mts. from our beeshed to the hives but if supers, broodboxes etc. have to be transported it's a pain in the bum to make X trips to carry them.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/tfgear-trailblazer-barrow-p182178

Tim.

Made a 'smoker-lighter' ...

15pmmnk.jpg

Take a pre-loaded smoker in your left hand, and the lit smoker-lighter in your right hand - insert into the pre-existing 'bellows input' hole near the smoker base (under the grate) - wait 10-15 seconds for wisps of smoke to emerge. Then withdraw lighter and pump the bellows. Fuel then lit from the bottom, as nature intended ...

Last edited:
Made a 'smoker-lighter' ...

15pmmnk.jpg

Take a pre-loaded smoker in your left hand, and the lit smoker-lighter in your right hand - insert into the pre-existing 'bellows input' hole near the smoker base (under the grate) - wait 10-15 seconds for wisps of smoke to emerge. Then withdraw lighter and pump the bellows. Fuel then lit from the bottom, as nature intended ...

Does the burner have some holes in it for the air to mix with the butane gas ?

Did you braze the joints ?

Nice idea ...

Does the burner have some holes in it for the air to mix with the butane gas ?

Did you braze the joints ?

Nice idea ...

No to both Q's.

What I wanted was a long tongue of yellow flame - bit like a bunsen-burner on 'standby'. I started by fitting a thin-bore copper tube - but any pressure of gas other than absolute minimum resulted in the flame jumping away from the tube, and self-extinguishing. So ... I figured the best way to deal with this was to add a wider-bore tube to reduce the pressure - hence the 'stepped' tubing. Guess I could have used all wide-bore tube, but I didn't much fancy making a sharp(ish) bend in that.

I've got brazing rods and flux, but no means of getting the required temperature - so I used JB Weld instead - it's good for 300 C.

I'm sure it can be improved on - but I'll leave that to someone else. :)

I made a stand for my new Paynes Poly Hive ... I made it with a space for an inspection 'drawer' as per my Long Hive ... the sticky board in the hive as it is made is very close to the mesh floor and I like a bit of a drop so that any live mites that fall through the mesh have too far to climb back up ...

The hive has two cut outs for a hive strap to go round the hive and I used these as slots for corresponding lugs on the stand to locate the hive. Although the standard roof on the hive is not bad I will be changing it for a timber one with space for a feeder and/or some insulation so I'm not too worried about the hive strap - my apiary is very sheltered anyway.

Lastly, the hive has a clear crown board but it's very flimsy .. I'll replace it with a 6mm polycarbonate one that will have a rim to give me top bee space as well as the bottom bee space that the hive comes with as standard.

Not a bad hive though .... very robust and dense poly and pretty thick all round. Not had chance to paint it and it's probably going to be in use later today so ..'hive au naturel' I'm afraid....

Photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99514363@N06/sets/72157644503927472/

the best way to deal with this was to add a wider-bore tube to reduce the pressure

For the disbelievers, and the unknowing, please would you explain how you figured that? I am a disbeliever.

the best way to deal with this was to add a wider-bore tube to reduce the pressure

For the disbelievers, and the unknowing, please would you explain how you figured that? I am a disbeliever.

that's just one of the common laws in physics...

Molecules tightly packed under pressure (i.e. greater than 1 atmosphere) within a small volume, when released into a larger volume will spread farther apart. Molecules being 'farther apart' is just another way of describing a lower pressure.

If you want a more quantitative answer - then think of how pressure is measured: PSI - "pounds per square inch". So - if the gas is propelled into a tube with a larger lumen - it will be acting against the walls of a tube with a larger internal surface area (more 'square inches'). And - if the number of square inches increases for the same mass of gas, the pressure must drop in proportion.

Sorry to hear you're a non-believer ....

Edit: like thenovice said ...

Last edited:
moved bait hive to Apiary No.2

made up 20 brood frames, with foundation. (spare hives and BB ready for A/S).

still got to make up 6 supers, 3 roofs and 3 floors.

Amateur work with small hand saw: piece by piece and made somehow and hopefully use it this season..
mnuc4

Do you have plans anywhere for that nuc please?

Built 2 clearer boards for smith hives, 2" deep plus beespace rim above - just got to find those rhombus' from T's I put somewhere in the bee shed :hairpull:

Built 2 clearer boards for smith hives, 2" deep plus beespace rim above - just got to find those rhombus' from T's I put somewhere in the bee shed :hairpull:

I know exactly what you mean. I found mine after a long search, they were no where near where they should have been put.
Cazza

built another 4 brood frames, to replace the ones I stole for the new nuc!

assembled and treated more BB ready for the good weather and swarming at the end of the week....... hopefully.

Do you have plans anywhere for that nuc please?

Sorry, didn't saw your post earlier. Actually these are for langstroth but can be as same for any other hive. I took normal box. And measured the spaces, lengths and shortened to approx. 1/4 of it's size. The way I assembled is let's say copy of D.Coates 5 frame nucs. I didn't write the measures I just copy/paste from previous nuc ( I made several, not many of them). Maybe I miss some mm here or some mm there, but last season were fine. Will see hopefully this season how it goes. But if You want I can measure spaces, lengths of them and write you.

Assembled the table saw i bought.
Made a crown board , 9 more and it has paid for itself :)
Ekes next then maybe have a go at some brood boxes and supers.

Made foundation for my nucs

Back