What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh ... but what you may not realise is that I have several hundred 'days' projects lined up that SWMBO seems to feel are of a greater priority. My hive building exploits of the last two years, plus my wood turning, my beekeeping, allotments, hen keeping and other hobbies have rather depleted the stock of brownie points ... need to do some decorating to build them up a bit ... Unless of course, I can pretend I am making something she considers useful ? Now what else could a solar wax melter be described as ?

Natural recycling machine to clear the house/garden/shed of surplus material and turn it into cash (or frames).

Is that any use?

I gotta decorate as well..

Decorated the hall and landing last month hence the roofs and floors (she still hasn't asked why I need quite so many).
Fingers crossed she'll still be asleep tomorrow when the postie comes with (hopefully) my new queens - soon to be newly captured 'swarms' in one of my many bait hives :D
I think project chicken will be next after i sort my working life out

Just what sort of hives are you running, jenkinsbrynmair?

Getting a bit too anthropomorphic I reckon.

I do worry about you.

Dusty

Well everyone else on here harps on about their landing boards!

well, I am thinking as I've got so many trees here that maybe I should go for the more esoteric 'apian lampshade' type 'bee lodge' to suspend on them just phoned my uncle Dai and there's a trailer load of liquid cow sh!t arriving tomorrow for the weatherproofing :D

You don't fancy a French Marans Copper cockerel to get you started do you?
Broody hatched 5 and four are bloomin cockerels. They are too pretty to eat but I suppose we will.

Thanks for the offer but I think it will be hens only - used to have Marams and Bava Neros some years ago (My surprise prezzie to SWMBO's grandmother - and I only went to the auction for a toolkit for the landrover!.
Fancy some bluebells this time or Cotswold legbars (SWMBO loves the blue eggs)

Finally got round to finishing the roofs and floors - quite proud of them actually (if you disregard the cr@p paint job (never had the patience for painting) finished off the last of the 5 year Ronseal I got in the sales last year but whilst looking around i saw that Wilko do their own brand much cheaper (2.5 litres for the same price as .75 of Ronseal) !

What colour is it JBM? I'm gonna get me a tin

Make sure it's not that fancy Pilkington K or whatever ... the stuff that prevents your conservatory from overheating in summer!

yes, I'll check, but I don't think I'll find that in the scrap box!

Checked out an empty hive, and parts, supers, frames, and contacted our local Equipment Officer, to borrow the industrial blow torch and propane/butane to get ready to clean and flame this old hive. I'm still wondering if it's worth pulling all these old frames (approx 60 frames) apart, and wiring new foundation, or building new frames instead, and just use these as spares. (e.g. they can go in the shed).

Last edited:
Made another crown board .... thanks Dusty, this was one to fit over the two new frames I added this afternoon ... I could't get a suitable combination from the other crown boards I had to cover 7 frames so it had to be a 5 and a 2 widths together ! I had a 5 wide but no 2 wide - does that make sense ?

You can never have enough crown boards ?

weather has been terrible today, very wet, the heaviest rain we've had for many months, filled 700l of water in water buts from the roof in 1hour.

so I spent the day, steam wax extracting in the rain, rendering down some old brood comb, and also steaming old frames, cleaning old frames, boiling in caustic soda.

and then onto flaming and scorching six supers, read for later in the year, and one brood box.

I'm a little damp now....

put together a few frames.
My frame making machine returns from his holidays soon so has about 100 to make along with the supers lol.

Threw out some old frames and put together some new 14 x 12 frames. Bottom bars were really tight, tighter than I remember having had them before. Might have to do take a bit off the sides when I finish the rest.

Made a quick and nasty solar wax smelter - insulated and double glazed perspex. Pallet wood and surplus glue , screws,paint,gaffer tape and yacht varnish. Had to buy perspex £19.

Works very well.

Designed to be as small as possible consistent with frame sizes so it will heat up quickly. Burned my hand on tray!

Edit: can't load any pics due to "security problem"

Made a quick and nasty solar wax smelter - insulated and double glazed perspex. Pallet wood and surplus glue , screws,paint,gaffer tape and yacht varnish. Had to buy perspex £19.

Works very well.

Designed to be as small as possible consistent with frame sizes so it will heat up quickly. Burned my hand on tray!

Edit: can't load any pics due to "security problem"

This might help people trying to replicate it ... also good for see through crown boards:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181076339...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1426wt_1400

Latest posts

Back