what are the crown board holes for?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyRaes

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 planned, in reality 7 + 1 nuc + 1 A/S into a commercial for a friend
Another daft question I'm afraid...

As the title says, what are the holes in the crown board for?

Whilst I know that they're used for feeding, are they also supposed to be used for ventilation in the summer? If so, then why do "so many beekeepers*" inist on covering the holes at all times, even during hot weather? If they're not for ventilation, then what is the point of the ventilation holes in the roof?

* my wife and anyone on any of the training she has undertaken

(hmm, why does $tupid get starred out??)

The holes are there for feeding or clearing bees.

The roof vents are just that, to stop condensation in the roof void.

Keep them covered as bees create their own ventilation in the hive by fanning and with open mesh floors there is enough fresh air

If on OMF, they don't need more ventilation 24/7. When they need, the bees will arrange it for themselves. The reason for the holes is to use the crownboard for other duties (for feeding or for clearing supers).

Mine are simple squares of 9mm ply, so nothing to cover and nothing to move at an inopportune time.

The ventilation holes in the roof are to avoid damp conditions prevailing in the roofspace, leading to rot.

By all means leave your holes 'open'', but cover them with a mesh (similar to the floor mesh; you will soon see what the bees want - they will either comletely or nearly completely close it off with propolis. A clear demonstration of their disgust with your top ventilation. Some on here will still advocate leaving gaping holes in the coverboards of their hives and will never admit to it being a waste of time and probably a nuisance to the bees (would they want it 24/7?).

In the warm summer weather it may make little difference, but this year, for instance, has been so cold that it most cetainly will have had a bad effect on colonies - particularly smaller ones.

Further, you may find the roof ventilation gauze propolised by the bees, if they have access to it. I did in my first years. That is why I no longer bother to cut any holes at all, in the crownboards I make.

RAB

Last edited:
the hole are oval for special piece of plastic called a porter bee escape you can get them in metal but plastic is good it has two thin wire that taper a bee will pass through it but cant go back through it is used to clear bees out of the box look it up porter bee escape hope that is cleared that up for you

Last edited:
Its all down to personal preference. Some cover them others don't.

My mesh floor nationals have crownboards with the holes and I generally only cover them if the colony is small to help retain the brood nest temperatures. My poly langstroth hives also have mesh floors but I don't have crownboards or top ventilation.

Ask a question and you'll get many different answers, at the end of the day though its your choice to decide what you feel works best for you and your bees.

I dont have holes in most of my crown boards, they mainly are 46cm plain 9mm ply squares edged in 18mmx10mm strip wood

i do have a few that are feed boards with a 3" hole in the middle that also accept rhombus clearers with one side 18mmx10mm and 18mmx23mm stripwood on other that also serve as an api eke (with hole blocked)

Thanks all - I know I'm going to get many different answers, but consistency has a quality all of its own! :)

Back