What age did you start.......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What age did you or your child start beekeeping (select mroe than one if there are multiple in your

• 5 or less

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 6-9

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • 10-15

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • 16-25

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • 26-35

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • 36-45

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • 46-60

Votes: 38 35.5%
  • 61 or more

Votes: 6 5.6%

• Total voters

Cb50

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After observing last season from 10-15 meters (without a suit) my daughter, this year, joined me for the first inspection of the year. Last year she was very active in processing the honey and drew my honey label picture.

Keen to see the queens and spotted larvae and she did really well.

Age 6.

Hope she continues with it as it is nice to see young with an interest.

How young did you start or do your children get involved?

Attachments

• 8BAC7AD3-1466-4A77-82AD-B50B8AAC8097.JPG
    8BAC7AD3-1466-4A77-82AD-B50B8AAC8097.JPG
    801.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Arran was 4 when he first visited his first hive, although he has only got serious in the last 2 years, since he was 8. I think the contents of Dusty's huge fridge might have a little bit to do with that ;)

Well done her!!!!
My grandson at 9 did a label for me and wanted to "help"
I got him a beesuit but when the first bee landed on his veil he shrieked in REAL fear and I never got him round to helping ever again.

I got him a beesuit but when the first bee landed on his veil he shrieked in REAL fear and I never got him round to helping ever again.

Aww he may still come round. I was still shrieking in my 30's but look at me now ;)

I grew up with my grandfather who kept sixteen colony's in wbc hives in the garden then one of my uncles joined in with a further ten/twelve but both finished when my uncle nearly died from shock after a getting stung. This was about my tenth birthday and it took another thirty years for me to jump in myself how things change they both used to complain like hell about rape honey in the supers when extracting. The keenest of my kids is twelve and regularly helps even on late night moves and has a keen eye for grafting.

Very keen on bees as a child and I asked my parents for beehive as reward for passing my 11+ (other children in my peer group asked for bikes). Beekeeping club at my Grammar school provided classes over winter (run by History teacher) and got my hands on experience in 6 colony school apiary in spring and summer.. Passed my Preliminary (now called Basic) in June age 12yrs in 1959 . However didn't get my NDB until 1986 .

Mid to late twenties for me. My friend's son has expressed a big interest though, he is 10 and autistic and if he wants to focus on it I think beekeeping my be a great future interest for him.

Latest posts

Back