Weighing scale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same Trading Standards as me. Didn't look at my weighing scales, just a paper exercise. No Lot number required if selling to one shop. Best before date is left to the discretion of the beekeeper, 2 years has been bandied about on here, according to Trading Standards can be longer. Single flora honeys must show it as 98% of that type of honey. Then there is the recommendation of not suitable for infants under 12 months

Our association had a talk from the local council trading standards officer the other year about honey labelling and selling.

Very illuminating it was.

Yes the best before date when in the format dd/mm/yy can be used as a lot / batch number (it's now the way I do it) and he mentioned, as has been said already, that it was important that the jars were filled to at least the weight specified on the label and not too much over either!

There was no mention of how it must be weighed only that it should be the same weight or slightly over what is specified on the jar!

Hi All,

I might have a bit of a stupid question here, but we are looking to buy a "Trade Approved" scale which we can use to weight the jars as well as a 30lb bucket of Honey. We have found a model which kind of sound ok its the T28 Bench Scale.
It offers kg/lb and up to 15 kg so it would cover the 30lb bucket. And now the stupid question. The plate size is 190x230 but the bucket size is 250 which means it would overlap. Would this have any influence on the weight? I am not talking about a 1kg loss or so, but would it influence the weighting at all? I know this is a rather embarrassing question, I just want a scale which work on everything and I don't want Trading standard to walk in one day and tell me that the bucket is too big for that scale and its therefore not legal because it would be incorrect by xxx g each time...

Hi All,

I might have a bit of a stupid question here, but we are looking to buy a "Trade Approved" scale which we can use to weight the jars as well as a 30lb bucket of Honey. We have found a model which kind of sound ok its the T28 Bench Scale.
It offers kg/lb and up to 15 kg so it would cover the 30lb bucket. And now the stupid question. The plate size is 190x230 but the bucket size is 250 which means it would overlap. Would this have any influence on the weight? I am not talking about a 1kg loss or so, but would it influence the weighting at all? I know this is a rather embarrassing question, I just want a scale which work on everything and I don't want Trading standard to walk in one day and tell me that the bucket is too big for that scale and its therefore not legal because it would be incorrect by xxx g each time...

eBay item number:

Bought scales/balance/weighing machine from these people... very good service and supplied a machine that suited our requirements.

Depending on your output for bottling... you can "tare" every bottle and fill to desired amount... or ( when filling 500 +) take a statistically proven number as a batch to check. Way over the top for most of us!!!

( I printed off all of the regulations on bottling and weighing and labeling and keep in a folder in the production kitchen)

When the lass from TS called she was more interested on my thoughts on foreign honey being passed off as Cornish*

* put your own are here!!

Instructions for our machine say to ensure weighing table is level and weighed product is centered.. so a big bucket overlapping the table would be OK

Yeghes da

@Luka. As long as the full weight of the bucket is on the plate, the size of plate does not matter. If the overhang of the bucket was to happen to rest on something placed alongside the scale then that would give you a lighter reading.

@Luka. As long as the full weight of the bucket is on the plate, the size of plate does not matter. If the overhang of the bucket was to happen to rest on something placed alongside the scale then that would give you a lighter reading.

Ok so in the case of the T28, the bucket would hang over by 3cm on 2 sides and 1 cm on the 2 other sides and that should not matter is what you are saying as long it does not sit on anything outside of the plate size, correct? One of these stupid Physics questions and I wasn't even that bad in school, but its too long ago ;-)

Ok so in the case of the T28, the bucket would hang over by 3cm on 2 sides and 1 cm on the 2 other sides and that should not matter is what you are saying as long it does not sit on anything outside of the plate size, correct? One of these stupid Physics questions and I wasn't even that bad in school, but its too long ago ;-)

YES

But you need to subtract the weight of the bucket ( and lid) from the total to give weight of honey.

( I weigh each empty bucket with its lid on and write it on the side of the bucket and on the lid)

Yeghes da

Cough.

Nor should it be OVER as that is in their eyes as bad as being under. As told me in my then honey house by Trading Standards so beware.

PH

YES

But you need to subtract the weight of the bucket ( and lid) from the total to give weight of honey.

( I weigh each empty bucket with its lid on and write it on the side of the bucket and on the lid)

Yeghes da

I would just "zero" it with an empty bucket on so the weight should just be the "pure" 30lb Honey and then the lit on in the end, so when it goes on again without being zero it should show you over 30lb because that time it will have the bucket weight and lit added.

If a shop buys your honey and sells it to the public, and it turns out to be underweight or faultly, its the shop that would be prosecuted.
They sold it.
True, but they will have a due diligence defence if they bought it in good faith and you certified the weight - then it's back to you.

Question - do you need scales? Would a balance with a certified sealed jar be acceptable?

and you certified the weight -

Use the minimum weight system rather than an exact weight, then no worries about a few grams over.
Just don't be under!
Label as Minimum contents Xg with the lettering at the correct size for weight range (usually 4mm for most honey).
This is what trading standards discussed as the probably the easiest way to describe the weight of your honey and in particular pieces of cut comb which vary considerably in weight.

I would just "zero" it with an empty bucket on so the weight should just be the "pure" 30lb Honey and then the lit on in the end, so when it goes on again without being zero it should show you over 30lb because that time it will have the bucket weight and lit added.

YES ... but when someone fills the bucket and stores the honey for some time... how much does the honey weigh?
easier to indelibly write on weight of bucket... but then I am a bloke so what would I know?

Yeghes da

Weighing is easy.

I allow 2 % over weight. in 500 g jar it is 10 g.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back