Weather ahead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just been looking at the forecast for the week ahead and beyond.. Fairly promising down here on the Costa del Fareham with temps in the middle teens and a potential high of 17 degrees next Wednesday ... Looks like the girls will still be flying for another week !

The longer term forecast for November is lots of snow and ice - I hope they have got that wrong.....

Where's Roola ? Usually on the money for a good forecast ...

Just been looking at the forecast for the week ahead

I look at it as well, the local forecast from the met office, don't know why I bother really... as 90% of the time they can't get it right for even a few hours in advance, often not even one hour.

Getting to be quite accurate at telling us what weather we have already had though, not that this is of much use.

I'm getting some pretty chilly forecasts for mid November to February, max daytime temps of a bout 4°c average temps around 0*c with approximately 25 days of snowfall. That was looking mainly at the west coast. If it's right then it'll likely mean the east coast will be colder with more snow, as it won't be a Westerly that brings it.

I'm getting some pretty chilly forecasts for mid November to February, max daytime temps of a bout 4°c average temps around 0*c with approximately 25 days of snowfall. That was looking mainly at the west coast. If it's right then it'll likely mean the east coast will be colder with more snow, as it won't be a Westerly that brings it.

G%d I hope so; we need a proper winter to knock back the recent scourges of things like wax moth. So blinking ugly in all their stages for one thing.

ADD

Looks like the girls will still be flying for another week !

So what day do we normally get the NBU starvation warning? (A real issue his year, in fairness)

Yes a few more days on the last of the Ivy would be lovely, then cold and dry would be lovely!! Hope we dont fall in the the never ending pattern of south westerlies like last winter.
Bees flying well for about 5 hrs here yesterday.next week does look a lot cooler. only 12 degrees max!!

I look at it as well, the local forecast from the met office, don't know why I bother really... as 90% of the time they can't get it right for even a few hours in advance, often not even one hour.

Getting to be quite accurate at telling us what weather we have already had though, not that this is of much use.

The wife sent the met office an email earlier in the year about their local weather forecast (on-line one) after they did not predict the high winds that blew the roof off our lambing shed, as well as a load of other damage locally. They replied and said that the weather forecast is computer generated and can't be altered manually if the weather conditions change:hairpull:

They did thank her for her feedback though.

They replied and said that the weather forecast is computer generated and can't be altered manually if the weather conditions change

And that computer changes it's story every couple of hours, say two days or whatever ahead out of the seven day forecast, one will say wall to wall sunshine, no rain... two hours later it will say cold, overcast and raining, two hours later, changes again, never the same.

And on the hourly forecast if it forecasts rain for say 12am and it does not rain, the forecast moves to 1am for rain, then it does not rain at 1am so it moves to 2am...and so it just keeps moving forward, the rain never arrives at all....completely useless.

I give up believing the long range forecast years ago, .
Quite rightly so - we are an island so, unlike the Yoonited state (and it will be in a bit of a state before long) who can accurately predict the weather long term. it's pointless pinning our hopes on anything more than 24 hours away.
Long range forecasts are based on probabllilites mixed with historical comparisons salted with a good pinch of wishful thinking.
At one time the Met offfice admitted that their weather forecasting software was based on the same system as bookies use!!!

I quite agree with you Hivemaker, the forecast is useless, unfortunately I have this strange compulsion to check it (and other forecasts) about 6 times a day.......

Mine were happily working something last weekend, there are still pockets of Ivy only just in bloom.
Long may the mild weather last, you can shove the snow and cold.

Mine were happily working something last weekend, there are still pockets of Ivy only just in bloom.

100% agree with that. i used to like the snow in my younger days but now i do a hell of a lot of driving and 60% of my work is in the countryside if the snow comes that job is goosed.

.... i used to like the snow in my younger days but now i do a hell of a lot of driving and 60% of my work is in the countryside if the snow comes that job is goosed.

and, it seems to me that old bones creak a bit more in the cold....:(

Mine were busy today .. lots of yellow pollen coming in - goodness only knows what they have found ?

mines been bringing orange and yellow pollen all day they were still coming home full at 4.30 when i was locking hens up

Things had quietened down here before teatime. Our hens were going to bed and the bees had already retired for the night. Quite different to two pm when each hive had clouds of bees in front of the entrance.

Latest posts

Back