Wax moth infestation.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakerbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
5 commercials no more😭
Ive searched old posts but cant find a specific answer to my problem. Firstly im holding my hands up at my own stupidity. I had four supers that came off the hives for extraction. I have been extremely busy and thought i could store them in my very warm conservatory till i had time to extract. My thoughts being get them off the hives so i could get on treating and feeding my hives before winter. Well im sure you can guess when i finally had time to extract this weekend i found all four supers riddled with cotton wool like webbing larve and cocoons. Im gutted and am not sure how to proceed. Ive picked off as much as i can and took great pleasure feeding it all to my chickens but what do i do with the frames? Are they salvageable? Do i scrap all those drawn combs? I do have a large chest freezer but is freezing it enough, these supers still have partially capped honey in them (i was planning on making mead). Certan says to use as a preventative, before infestation, does this mean i cant use now? Am i best to cut out all wax and foundation, sterilize frames and start again next year with new foundation. I would be grateful for any advice thankyou.

Oh no!
If they were mine I would throw the frames and thoroughly clean and torch the boxes.
You might be able to save the de waxed frames by boiling them butis it worth the bother?
Honey? I wouldn’t touch it.

Having said that, Ive never had wax moth despite storing a few supers in the sun room just like you did.
Somebody else will probably know better than my guess

I think if I had access to a large chest freezer I'd freeze them to kill the larvae and eggs. The uncapped honey will be ok if frozen too so perhaps add the frames back into the hives for food for the bees and to clean out down the track?

Got a green house? If you have or a shed, stick them in their, then burn sulphur strips. If you have a greenhouse that’ll fumigate the greenhouse AND the supers. That’ll kill off your wax moth. As for the drawn comb I’m not sure what to do with that. Could stick them back on and the bees should clean up what’s left. Then remove it for winter. Must fumigate the supers 1st.

I would kill off the moths and larvae by freezing or burning sulphur. The strips will not create enough sulphur dioxide to fumigate a whole greenhouse though. I would then feed the remaining honey back to the bees and once cleaned out I would start off the frames afresh. The honey should not be for human consumption unless you like wax moth poo. We're these supers used for brood at any time? Rarely do I get a moth problem with honey supers.

Got a green house? If you have or a shed, stick them in their, then burn sulphur strips. If you have a greenhouse that’ll fumigate the greenhouse AND the supers. That’ll kill off your wax moth. As for the drawn comb I’m not sure what to do with that. Could stick them back on and the bees should clean up what’s left. Then remove it for winter. Must fumigate the supers 1st.

Be careful putting comb in a greenhouse. If the sun shines it might all melt!! (think solar wax extractor - it's still pretty hot in a greenhouse when the sun shines...) Also, if you're fumigating the frames properly, it shouldn't fumigate the greenhouse as well! Hope that helps. Cheers

Thank you everyone. If i scrap the foundation, can the frames be frozen and fumigated to save them, or is it really best to buy new and start again?
You can boil them. It will get all the wax and propolis off too
On the odd occasion I go mad and try to save some, it's what I do but after a few I give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ive got an old shallow saucepan from a granny that will be perfect. Lets see how many i do before giving up this has been a costly mistake and one i will learn from. Im wracking my head to remember if i cross contaminated any kit for this to have happened.

Hi Bakerbee,

Page 100 of the document below (under the heading "freezing"), tells you how long to freeze the frames for to kill off all stages of the moth, that is eggs, grubs and any adult moths of this insect pest. It works really well. Consider keeping them (as they are) in the freezer and put them back in the hives down the track as required (just see directions in the book). The bees will clean them up no problem. I've done it before and it works really well.

If you can fit your boxes in the freezer that will kill any eggs, grubs or moths in them too.

https://www.agrifutures.com.au/wp-content/uploads/publications/14-098.pdf

Thank you everyone. If i scrap the foundation, can the frames be frozen and fumigated to save them, or is it really best to buy new and start again?
You can boil them. It will get all the wax and propolis off too
On the odd occasion I go mad and try to save some, it's what I do but after a few I give up.

Sorry bakerbee
Hit the edit instead of quote button

Thanks ive got an old shallow saucepan from a granny that will be perfect. Lets see how many i do before giving up this has been a costly mistake and one i will learn from. Im wracking my head to remember if i cross contaminated any kit for this to have happened.
Look out for a second hand burco
Boiler.. the 30 litres model is best ... the crud will fill a saucepan in no time and you will get fed up with it. Washing soda and boiling (or very hot) water will kill any eggs or larvae and leave the frames looking very clean. A bucket of clean water to rinse the boiled frames. Takes a couple of mins per frame ..strong rubber gloves and a washing up brush help.

Wouldn't give the bees back frames that still have webs in them - they find it difficult to deal with the webs. You also need to cut out any comb with wax moth tracks as, in my experience, the bees seem reluctant to use or remodel those areas ...

No worries Dani, i guessed something like that had happened. Thanks for your advice.
Jus

Latest posts

Back