Warm / cold way - thoughts please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all, from the replies it seems the bees don’t care (if on OMF as mine are). So it’s all down to ease for the bee keepers.
interesting how it’s done on a long hive, no option other than to lift frames while back is twisted
Well ... Not really ... because with a long hive with 20 to 25 frames there is usually enough space at the end that can be left empty so what you do is slide the frames of stores (these are usually at the end) along after making space and so you don't need to lift them (and these are the heavier frames). If you need to llft them out there's enough room to angle the frame slightly so you are not lifting awkwardly.

When you get to the brood frames you don't normally need to lift them out just slide along and look down at the face of the comb most of the time.

The other thing is that you can position the hive so the frame tops are at a comfortable working height ...

Not a back breaker - more of a hive for people with back issues or weak upper body strength.

When you comment that warm and cold way, you really believe that.

When I take the whole entrance reducer off in July, brood area moves to the second box.

When I put reducer back in August, the brooding moves to the lowest box.

I must do that, because during main flow the hive will be too hot and moist if I do not add ventilation. Hive is too cool, if I do not reduce the entrance/ventilation in August.

That I cannot understand, how langstroth box is cooler than some another box, when bees keep all brood boxes' temperature steady.

Brood needs 35-36C and it stays in that.

Last edited:
Well ... Not really ... because with a long hive with 20 to 25 frames there is usually enough space

Finland was half full longhives 50 years ago, but now you cannot find any. Long hive is too small to keep productive colony. The comb size was 30 x 30 cm. Insulation was good. Wall had 10 cm saw powder.

Guys keep medium langstroth boxes to save their back.

If you have a mere petty colony, it is the same where you keep it.

Latest posts

Back