Walnuts in honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leigh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Has anyone tried selling walnuts in honey?

Seems to be a very good crop of walnuts this year.

Internet searches don't throw up much of use.

These are english walnuts and "wet" ...ie not dried! Could try roasting them, but just thought I'd ask in case anyone has had any dealings in this department, including any regs on selling them.

Thanks,

Leigh

walnuts_in_darkforest_honey.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Organic-W...rs-/182131100157?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Last edited:
Thanks - yes, these are about the only people I've seen doing them....now trying to work out if there isn't much info about because no-one wants them etc!

Thanks - yes, these are about the only people I've seen doing them....now trying to work out if there isn't much info about because no-one wants them etc!

Cant say I've ever seen them on sale. That might be due to lack of demand or it could have been a passing fad that came and then went. (Anyone remember the arrival of skate boards and the proliferation of skate parks in every community?)

That jar looks very tempting. I guess it's too late this year to turn them into 'walnuts pickled in honey vinegar' - ? Would that work for the future though? (All here eaten by squirrels.)

Last edited:
Cant say I've ever seen them on sale. That might be due to lack of demand or it could have been a passing fad that came and then went. (Anyone remember the arrival of skate boards and the proliferation of skate parks in every community?)

you not been out in the last 5 years. down here in the south every town has a new skate park.

Most costing in excess of £100k but they are very very very well used by kids and adults alike.

you not been out in the last 5 years. down here in the south every town has a new skate park.

Most costing in excess of £100k but they are very very very well used by kids and adults alike.

We had every town being pressurised to create skateparks and pressure groups set up to push them into being. A couple of years later they had fallen into disuse or were being repurposed for bmx cycles. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Another possible recipe for next year-
Whole Walnuts in honey, which are a specialty of the Greek island of Thassos. They use young walnuts, picked before the shell begins to harden, and boil them in local honey, for which the island is famous. Most jars are snapped up by locals, and few leave the island although they are extremely delicious.
We only seem to pickle such nuts here. Nice, but not as nice.

I knew a packer some 25 years ago who sold walnuts in honey and said it was a good line.

PH

:hairpull:One recipe says to grill the nuts at 350 degrees C for 10 minutes before pouring warmed honey over them:hairpull:

Whipped cream sounds as though it would make a nice topping'

Yeghes da

Toasting the nuts in a dry pan (particularly the likes of Almonds) brings out the flavour of them ..

There's a nice recipe somewhere for salted toasted nuts with a honey glaze somewhere but I can't find it ...

The current trend for salted caramel, salted fudge etc makes me wonder has anyone tried making/selling salted honey?

A friend of mine bought a jar of walnuts in honey in Turkey; they were delicious. I think the honey absorbed some of the walnuts' moisture. I've tried doing the same with shop-bought (ie dry) walnuts but they aren't as good. So I hope you've gone ahead with trying the wet walnuts! Not sure about selling but I think if you ask for a donation (suggest the required amount) and make the provenance of all ingredients clear, I think you would be legal.

Back