Varroa Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger65

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have not treated for Varroa before. I've noticed the odd mite on the odd bee but drop is not significant. I would like to treat before winter. What ii the best product currently on the market.

Thanks

There are two main contenders.
Have a google and a search here for Apiguard which is thymol based and has to be used with supers off and MAQS which is formic acid and is used with supers on.

But most people treat with MAQS in August after supers have been removed

I did last year and had two queens superseded. I think the bees need the extra room of a super.i did mine three weeks ago and alls well

The advice seems to have been changed for this year, probably to suit the British market and National hives, it recommends using supers even if they haven't got any frames.

But most people treat with MAQS in August after supers have been removed

Our bee club MAQs users from it's introduction last year, felt that August was too late and would use it earlier this season. Any users opinions here?
Cazza

The advice seems to have been changed for this year, probably to suit the British market and National hives, it recommends using supers even if they haven't got any frames.

Its a good job us British beekeepers are all stupid or we would realise we were being advised to use twice the volume in our hives rather than half the product.:rolleyes:

I used Maqs for the first time this year 4 weeks ago on a single poly hive that was in an out apiary.
It was a swarm from last year and I noticed I had a small number of bees with deformed wings so thought an experimental treatment was in order.
So opened the packet and wow does that stuff stink.
I put it on the top of the brood frames with a fully empty super on the top.
I have acrylic crown boards and could see the net effect was that unlike normal the bees didn't even venture above the frames the 2 nights I inspected. I had a huge mite drop :-(
After 7 days treatment a quick inspection showed she stopped laying and it was a week before she decided to go again.
My conclusion, this stuff is effective but feels a little like I am gassing them.
I will apply to my main apiary once I have removed all supers as I don't feel too comfortable applying during flow.
Am also wondering could this also be used earlier in season for swarm prevention during build up to interrupt brood cycle.

I have just extracted a super from a hived that had MAQS. NO trace of any bad taste and 16% water. Very pleased :) I'm sure there is more "taste" from smoker overuse.

Just treated a big colony with Apigard... its early really but noticed dwv was prevalent. Massive drop over last 4 days, just glad I got in there now and will allow healthy build up for winter.

Does it cause any damage to metal parts in the hives ie frame runners, excluders, floors?

Not that I've noticed, the wire excluders seem okay, so do the mesh floors. I use poly hives which have plastic frame rests.

Latest posts

Back