Varroa level everyone?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Either my vision has gone pretty bad or I hardly have any varroa this year. I did 2 counts this summer over 10 days at the time and some hives didn't have a single mite while others had only 2 or 3. Could the hot weather have helped with this I wonder?

Ditto - my impression is the same; I’ll be doing accelerated drops on mine next week post extraction to find out what the actual position is.

This is slightly off topic but can anyone advise about Apilife var. Its thymol based but I have no experience of dealing with varroa. I haven't kept bees for over 35 years :redface: and varroa just wasn't an issue then. I have done a lot of reading about varroa and was suitably impressed with the scientific data but I really want to hear from folks who have actual experience of its use.

Either my vision has gone pretty bad or I hardly have any varroa this year. I did 2 counts this summer over 10 days at the time and some hives didn't have a single mite while others had only 2 or 3. Could the hot weather have helped with this I wonder?

I have done two vapes on requeened colonies that have no capped brood. They are both big colonies. The 24 hour drop on both is less than 30. Accelerated drops planned on the rest as soon as all supers are off or being fed back to bees through a feeder hole, next week probably

This is slightly off topic but can anyone advise about Apilife var. Its thymol based but I have no experience of dealing with varroa. I haven't kept bees for over 35 years :redface: and varroa just wasn't an issue then. I have done a lot of reading about varroa and was suitably impressed with the scientific data but I really want to hear from folks who have actual experience of its use.

When I used thymol I preferred it to Apiguard. It might put your queen off lay for a few days and the bees don’t like it, they might beard out for a day or so.

Thymol...good in warm summers..Useless where I live in North Yorkshire as we don't bring bees back from the heather until mid September. OA vaporization works for me (most of the time).

Hmm, the OP's question has now been lost. It is not slightly off-topic, it's another topic which you should really have put in a thread of it's own.

I was starting to think the same. Last two winters when I vaped oxalic I really couldn't find any mites on the inspection boards. In the past I have had heavy loads of varroa so I'm familiar with what it looks like.

I did a unite last week because of a drone laying queen. I had three frames with mostly drone brood so I forked them out for a look. It's only a quick basic check but I did spot two mites, so they are definitely present.

I put my reduced varroa down to giving up on Apistan strips and instead vaping with oxalic. But that's just a gut feeling, not scientific.

When I used thymol I preferred it to Apiguard. It might put your queen off lay for a few days and the bees don’t like it, they might beard out for a day or so.

Thanks for your responses. The Aplife var is mixed the a couple of other things and that supposedly means thymol will sublimate at lower temperatures, easily achievable inside the hive, 20C if memory serves. I had wondered about the queen and laying. Good to have that information. :thanks: all

I've used it to good effect and being thin wafer it doesn't require an eke or modified crownboard. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.
However don't let it sit close to plastics such as a clear crownboard or it will adversely affect said plastic.

The Aplife var is mixed the a couple of other things and that supposedly means thymol will sublimate at lower temperatures, easily achievable inside the hive, 20C if memory serves.

The outside temperature is as (or maybe even more) important - to be fully effective there must be a good flow of bees moving outside the hive.

I've had very low counts too. I was thinking I have managed to breed hygienic bees, and I can make a fortune.... but I suspect the high temperatures might have had something to do with it... despite the homeostasis within the brood nest

A bit off topic but people keep mentioning OAV....... are they vaporising use OA or Apibioxal?

Interesting - I am expecting a big drop as they were present in higher numbers this spring than I am used to. Have to wait and see.

I've used it to good effect and being thin wafer it doesn't require an eke or modified crownboard. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.
However don't let it sit close to plastics such as a clear crownboard or it will adversely affect said plastic.
Hi I put a piece of tin foil between the thymol pad and the plastic crown board in my poly nucs.

Back