Vancouver city bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldb7340

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Whilst en route to the South Pacific I had a 10 hous stop in Vancouver. Rather than sit at the airport I took a train into town. I walked (after a friends advice) downtown to the run down parts of town as I was told it would be interesting. I walked past a demolished building site that had been turned into an 'urban farm' selling veg, and what did I spot in the corner?
Beekeepers!
I stopped to talk and they are part of an amazing project led by the brilliant Julia who overseas 70 urban hives on rooftops and small spaces all over Vancouver. The project will sell the honey and is connecting communities all over. She was a brilliant beekeeper and inspirational lady. Check out the website by googling 'hives for humanity.' I would post the link but haven't written enough on the forum to be allowed!

After an afternoon looking at hives on skyscraper roofs, collecting a swarm and visiting other sites she took me for a beer with a new keeper on the project and then I departed back to the airport. It was a great day and shows you what a social group beekeepers are across the globe! Will post pics when home.

What a great way to spend the day. Having done two trips around B.C and Alberta and seeing the sights of Vancouver, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics

Latest posts

Back