Using Upholstery Stapler to make frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobba

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When making frames, the bit I find fiddly and annoying is reattaching the cut out section from the top bar. Getting those 3 little nails in through the bar and loops in the wire, whilst trying to avoid bashing the wax or my fingers is the problem.

I would like a nail gun, but don't want to faf with cables and cannot justify the expense of a fancy cordless one.

So I was thinking perhaps an Upholstery Stapler could do the job, something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Du...870892?hash=item2ae653b0ec:g:1qEAAOSwA3ddmZ9f

(Don't buy the one in this link btw, you can get the same one cheaper, but this listing has a better description)

It fires 10-14mm brads and has a power adjust.

Has anyone tried making frames with one before?

I know I wont be able to use it for all the nails in a frame, I just want it when reattaching the cut out bit to the top bar.

Thanks as always.

You can get a corded one for a tenner.
I would rather have the hassle of a cord than the wrist ache of a manual one after a dozen frames!
Get an extension lead!

I find 15mm a bit short so always use 20mm. There are plenty of cheap tac guns and if only doing a few frames they can last but I’ve had many and some fail straight away, even some at the higher end of cheap like the tacwise. A couple of months ago I brought a makita cordless there expensive but good. I would suggest the tacwise above other cheap models keep your receipts though and use a shop that keeps stock so you can swap.

Do you own a compressor? I have a pneumatic brad nailer and it's been excellent so far (15k+ nails), only cost about £25.

Last edited:
You don't have to get the nails through the loops of wire. The fiddly bar will hold the wax strongly enough wherever you put the nails. The bees then further stick it to the side , bottom and top bars.
E

Have used nailers and tackers, but found some frames (2nds or what?) are unhappy and easy for nails/brads to go sideways. Went back to using a pin setter. Physical effort appears not a lot different at the end of the evening. Cost £5-£6 and uses normal frame gimp pins.

23 gauge heedless pinner is what I use on frames a perfect little gun and very accurate

Went back to using a pin setter.

I find they are awful things, always use an 8oz Warrington hammer with no issues even with my sausage fingers.
Staple guns were always reserved for putting the linings in coffins - until my Godfather misplaced it one day and it dawned on my father exactly where it was, it's still there actually - I can point to the exact grave :D

I have two nail guns -
1. a Lidl £10 for 15mm brads.. frames. Now 5 years old Approx 2,000 brads/year.
2. A Lidl £18 one usually used for 25-30mm brads. Now 3 years old. Approx 700 brads/year.
I use this for heavy duty nailing/stapling - making nucs/wooden feeders etc.
Ferociously powerful..

I would not use a manual stapler/gun.. far too much hard work.

I can staple a jumbo Lang brood frame in well under 1 minute..using the above .

And at the prices, they are throw away if they go wrong...

For years, I have used an old fashioned wooden handled rampin/ pin pusher. I got several at a hardware shop close down. Cost £1 each.
I use seconds DN1 and Manley frames without too much trouble.

With just 2 hives it may be the way to go.

bobba

That’s exactly what I use.
I nail the side bars to the top bar as normal, place the 2 bottom bars in place & use 1 staple each side. I then slide the wax foundation in press the retaining bar to tightly trap the wax and use 3 staples to secure. Never had an issue & easy to remove & replace when cleaning frames

We each have our own ways I personally only use 5 nails per frame .
No nail gun ,ive got a nice scar on my hand .
Some times I'll even just use pva wood glue.
When it comes to nailing the wedge to the top bar I stand the frame upside down and slide the wax in,squeeze the two side bars and when you put the wedge in it fits really tightly , I then use one nail in the middle and hammer the nail in .. but don't hammer the nail in so it sticks out of the top bar.
I've not had one frame come apart yet .

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply’s.

I am using a small hammer like the one in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V5ryOrUyys

I have tried a normal hammer too.

I was originally using 19mm gimp pins for attaching the cut-out bits, but switched to 15mm panel pins as the gimps went all the way through too often.

I don’t have a compressor.

Thanks Enrico, I wondered how necessary it really was to get the nails through the loop, your words of wisdom will help me a lot.

Those rampin/ pin pusher things look like they could help.

Wingy, I like the idea of using staples so they are easier to disassemble.

I have a feeling we have a staple gun laying around at work, I cannot remember what size staples it takes or if it can take brads, but will have a look tmr. So hopefully, I can try the work one before deciding if I should get my own.

Last edited:
That's the right hammer right enough so it's a matter of practice. Yes it's not critical to get the pins through the wire loops on the foundation but its definitely better if you do and goodness it's not hard to line them up. After all if you are putting in the three nails then why not?

PH

I have become rather fumble fingered, so I often use a needle/long nose pair of pliers to grasp the nail/pin.

well.....

As luck would have it the staple gun at work was exactly the same as the one I was looking at online.

So I gave it a go. Only had 10mm brads, so used 14mm staples as Wingy suggested.

ponk, ponk, ponk- happy days.

So I have one on order now :)

I thought it worked relay well. I had a few staples not go in all the way, that still needed a little tap with a hammer. But it was way less fiddly and a lot faster.

If I had a proper nail gun, I would probably use it in preference to the stapler. But for me the stapler was a big upgrade from the hammer. It fit my budget and does the job.

Latest posts

Back