Unrolled Demaree conundrum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonwig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Background
Carried out a Demaree a while back (beginning of May).
Queen (2018) slowed down laying so decided to introduce newly raised Queen last week, proven layer.
Old Queen to nucleus as insurance.
Moved top BB which was already quite full of stores to above QE (immediately above the bottom BB) to convert it to a deep super and stopped the Demaree.

Inspection today
New Queen (marked) in bottom BB laying well.
Old BB (now a super) containing the remaining brood to emerge (most emerged) but also eggs (not loads), newly laid, single egg per cell, all at the bottom, some still on end.

Searched old BB for a Queen (I’m usually quite good), didn’t see one.

Several theories, just wondering if anyone has any others or whether they see flaws in my proposed action.

Theory one, Q raised from a missed Q cell when BB was on top of Demaree.
Theory two, drone laying workers.
Theory three, new Q has slipped through the QE, she’s not small and the QE is in good condition (wired excluder)

My money fwiw is on one.

My plan is to leave them to it until the w/e and if there are more eggs search harder for the Q and if I find one, split off to a new spot and leave them to it.

What does anyone else think?

If there are two Qs separated by a QE are there any problems envisaged over the next few days pending the next inspection?

If DLW workers will the presence of the new Q stop them or do I need to shake them out if that’s the conclusion?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Simon

Several theories, just wondering if anyone has any others or whether they see flaws in my proposed action.

Theory one, Q raised from a missed Q cell when BB was on top of Demaree.
Theory two, drone laying workers.
Theory three, new Q has slipped through the QE, she’s not small and the QE is in good condition (wired excluder)

One

My plan is to leave them to it until the w/e and if there are more eggs search harder for the Q and if I find one, split off to a new spot and leave them to it.

If there are two Qs separated by a QE are there any problems envisaged over the next few days pending the next inspection?

Shouldn't be an issue, they are basically a two queen colony - although I'd be happier with a shallow or two between the boxes (QX under the top box obviously)

If DLW workers will the presence of the new Q stop them or do I need to shake them out if that’s the conclusion?

Simon
all laying workers lay drones so no need to specify DLW
I don't think that in this instance it is laying workers, but what do you think you'll achieve by shaking them out if they were?
all colonies have laying workers, just in a big stack, the distance from the queen sometimes means that they are not as vigorously policed.

She may turn out to be a drone layer unless you had a top entrance?

Quick update

Thanks for the comments, as suspected, nice new queen in old BB with plenty of BIAS incl sealed worker brood. Reverted the function of the deep super to a BB and added a couple of shallow supers between the BBs.

Simon

Back