Demaree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have around 10 demarees & I don’t have the time to dismantle the hives to check the bottom box. I move all the brood to the top BB with a demaree board and an upper entrance for the drones and virgin queen . I reduce to one QC, often only just one or two.
With not inspecting the bottom boxes I know I run the risk of a swarm (I never demaree if QC’s present).
My plan is to let the brood emerge in the top box then let the bees then fill with honey so the top box is effectively like a super.
Anyone else do this, does it work ok?

I have around 10 demarees & I don’t have the time to dismantle the hives to check the bottom box. I move all the brood to the top BB with a demaree board and an upper entrance for the drones and virgin queen . I reduce to one QC, often only just one or two.
With not inspecting the bottom boxes I know I run the risk of a swarm (I never demaree if QC’s present).
My plan is to let the brood emerge in the top box then let the bees then fill with honey so the top box is effectively like a super.
Anyone else do this, does it work ok?
i have had 2 this year where i mostly filled LBB with foundation (like a pagden down below) and in two weeks all drawn and laid plus charged QCs so worth checking whenb you can and swapping frames

I’m the same , with holiday it will be 3 weeks before visiting bottom BB.
If needing to add another super do people with a demaree in progress add below or above the top BB and if developing a Q in the top do you add a QE above the top BB?

It's what George Demaree intended when he invented the system
It's basically what I do
How do you encourage the bees to draw and store the honey in the sandwiched supers though? Mine seem to have backfilled and often capped even, the brood frames in the top by the time a new queen up top comes in to lay. I've tried extracting brood frames before and found it horses work and inefficient once they've been used for a couple of cycles of brood - do you have an uncapping machine or take a frame out to encourage them to draw the cells deeper for honey? You not written any books I suppose? Your knowledge is a great help to us all, thanks

How do you encourage the bees to draw and store the honey in the sandwiched supers though
They don't need much encouragement I find, in fact they tend to leave the brood frames in the top box until last - unless there's a heck of a flow on.
I've tried extracting brood frames before and found it horses work and inefficient once they've been used for a couple of cycles of brood
Extracted brood frames loads of time with no issues - uncapping is a bit harder though
or take a frame out to encourage them to draw the cells deeper for honey?
no, just take the dummy board out for a little extra space
You not written any books I suppose?

:icon_204-2: :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
I have been asked to write one in Welsh, but I haven't found the time nor the inclination yet

I set up rolling demaree on 3 hives and in one, the bees packed the top BB with honey and ignored the supers underneath. I now have a Brood box full of honey, but not an extractor that takes brood frames. No problem with the other 2 though the bees put the honey in the supers

I’ve had 18 demaree rolling this season some still going checking some of the bottom boxes today , but like @jenkinsbrynmair said they seem to leave the brood box above untill last to back fill supers in between have been drawn out and filled at an alarming rate , I’ll try and take a photo later I have one with 5 supers between and one above which I’ve put clearer boards on yesterday to extract from today .
Out of 18 two have swarmed because I’ve just not kept up with them .

I set up rolling demaree on 3 hives and in one, the bees packed the top BB with honey and ignored the supers underneath. I now have a Brood box full of honey, but not an extractor that takes brood frames. No problem with the other 2 though the bees put the honey in the supers
I tried the rolling demaree method this year and found the same. As the brood was emerging the bees filled with nector.
I then transferred these frames into the bottom BB. At this stage I went double brood as the queen was very prolific.

I tried the rolling demaree method this year and found the same. As the brood was emerging the bees filled with nector.
I then transferred these frames into the bottom BB. At this stage I went double brood as the queen was very prolific.
Not a problem though, either extract these frames when ready or just do another demaree and placed the back filled box over the upper most bb or under as a super (assuming you didn't leave them raise a queen in the top box).

This year I have been able to dismantle early season demaree and extract 10 BB full of honey. This now gives me over 100 drawn frames to play with and restart demarees if needs be.

Not a problem though, either extract these frames when ready or just do another demaree and placed the back filled box over the upper most bb or under as a super (assuming you didn't leave them raise a queen in the top box).

This year I have been able to dismantle early season demaree and extract 10 BB full of honey. This now gives me over 100 drawn frames to play with and restart demarees if needs be.
One of the good advantages of a demaree is the extra drawn brood comb and also the queen in the bottom has fresh comb for winter , no need for a Bailey change if conditions allow good flows you can do a demaree for a second time I opted out of doing a second and just reconfigured and had a qx between to brood boxes.

One of the good advantages of a demaree is the extra drawn brood comb and also the queen in the bottom has fresh comb for winter , no need for a Bailey change if conditions allow good flows you can do a demaree for a second time I opted out of doing a second and just reconfigured and had a qx between to brood boxes.
yes, although sometimes you end up with a lot of pollen frames which are not so easy to get rid off unless you make lots of nucs or have hives looking light. I have 2bb full of them and must find space for these before winter!

They don't need much encouragement I find, in fact they tend to leave the brood frames in the top box until last - unless there's a heck of a flow on.

Extracted brood frames loads of time with no issues - uncapping is a bit harder though

no, just take the dummy board out for a little extra space

:icon_204-2: :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
I have been asked to write one in Welsh, but I haven't found the time nor the inclination yet
Maybe not in Welsh, that'd be a bugger for me, but in English - I think you'd do well. I used to work in the book industry and there's far too many bee books that just rehash the sane things. Demarees and the like are never mentioned - just Haynes and Hooper repeated in different worlds ad ifnitum.

Maybe not in Welsh, that'd be a bugger for me, but in English - I think you'd do well. I used to work in the book industry and there's far too many bee books that just rehash the sane things. Demarees and the like are never mentioned - just Haynes and Hooper repeated in different worlds ad ifnitum.
I agree. I think Emyr should go for it.

yes, although sometimes you end up with a lot of pollen frames which are not so easy to get rid off unless you make lots of nucs or have hives looking light. I have 2bb full of them and must find space for these before winter!
Aye I know I have ample frames of pollen which I’m trying to use in nucs or other colony’s some are in the freezer along with my chunk honey and full frames of honey.
I want to take 10 or so mini nucs through winter so I might cut down some pollen/honey frames instead of feeding fondant above.

Latest posts

Back