Uniting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 Nats and 1 tbh
I have looked at past threads but can't see the answer.
when re-uniting an AS, does the hive that is moved (abt 1.5m) back to the original site have a problem with bees returning to "yesterday's" position.

Also, if uniting two Q+ colonies (removing the lower Q) with Q+ colony on top, I assume that the bees below will move up to the top box. If I want to return to single brood, is it a case of waiting for the lower box brood to emerge (assuming she does not lay there as well) and then remove it. I can't use a QE due to drones in the top box.

Both hives should be positioned side by side before the unite.
You can use a qe if you provide the top box with its own entrance ( facing in same direction as bottom entrance). With a few frames of brood in either box you may be able to get away with rearrnging them all into one box.

Padgen artifical swarm technique is a good reiable method to follow. No reason why the old and new boxes should be widely separated and can be moved back towards each other, in increments, if you are really worried.

Several ways to return to single brood - wait until later in the season is one of them. Isolate unused frames/space from one box? I'm sure you could be imaginative enough to think up a way, if there is a will....

Latest posts

Back