Uniting queen in mating nuc with queen-less colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekake

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I’ve got a mated queen in a mini-nuc. There are not many workers with her and the only comb in the mini-nuc has been built in the feeder compartment. I’ve tried to cut some of it out and move it to encourage them into the frames In the mini nuc but no joy. Bottom line, the queen is difficult to get at and I think any effort to extract her may result in damage.

My plan is to unite the mini nuc with a small queenless colony to avoid having to mess about and potentially kill/ damage the queen , but I’m not quite sure the best way to go about it. Spray air freshener and just combine? Unite over newspaper?

Any advice welcome- thanks!

If the mininucleus floor slides out then can newspaper unite it. Otherwise mist the inside of the mininuc with water and shake the bees out into a washing up bowl or similar sized plastic box , capture queen (damp queens don't generally fly off) and introduce to queenless/dequeened colony via standard plastic travel/intro cage with fondant release but initially tab in place for a day or two.

Latest posts

Back