Uniting issue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isc26

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Many paper unites but only twice have I seen significant mortality during the process. Any thoughts on why this happens occasionally?

Paper rips when placing box on top

When I use paper# I use several (4+) sheets to prevent casual tears when placing box on top. I slash a few cuts with a sharp knife (so very narrow cuts) through the complete paper but its thickness means uniting takes time.

Fatalities= too fast uniting for whatever reason.

# I prefer air freshener. Or in very difficult unites, both...

Fatalities= too fast uniting for whatever reason.

# I prefer air freshener.

Fatalities with newspaper often happen in very hot weather when the bees in the top have no access to water to cool themselves before they "break through" into the bottom box.

Whilst one can never say never.....to date I've never had an air-freshener unite fail....an alternative to air-freshener (some are concerned about the chemicals) is to heavily smoke both half's and then unite. Works fine if you have forgotten your "glade 5 in 1". :)

Any particular air freshener better than others for success rate or better chemically for bees.

What is process... spray both 1/2s and unite? Also how much?

Thanks

Can't say I've tried them all, but everything I've used has worked. Currently one of Lidl's in my kit.
Give both half's a good spray...top of bottom box and bottom of top box to be added.
Sorry but don't have exact spray timing's...just give a good spray. Doubt you can over-spray.

I use haze, any scent but almond or banana. I always use that instead of paper.
E

Mine is a green air freshener "all natural ingredients" aerosol , make fortgotten. Just make sure it does not contain any inecticides!.

Theory I read was a 1 second burst each hive but that is not my style. I spray slowly along the top of the lower hive and ditto along the bottom of teh upper hive so 3-4 secs a hive. Bees roar and lose all sense of smell and are disorientated. Hence by the time they come to their senses, they are united under one queen scent...(or something like that).

The only ‘paper ‘ unite failure was with a top colony too weak to chew through the slitted paper. They clustered in one corner and were still there when I checked. Tearing the paper solved the problem as, by then, the aroma from the bees below would have permeated the bee cluster above.

I’ve also united by inserting an OMF between the two sets for a day or so, before removing.

Was actually two meshes - so no flying bees from top or bottom of the hives when moving them across. Plenty of options.

A liberal sprinkling with icing sugar is just as good as spraying with air freshener or after-shave or whatever.

Thanks folks, not a paper issue, that would have been too simple. Was aware of smoking but hadn't thought of using air freshener so that's something else for the kit bag!

Latest posts

Back