Uber aggressive swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Enough
A huge swarm settled in a poly nuc in the back garden couple days ago. Filled the 14x12 6-frame nuc, plus about 1/4 swarm hanging off the outside as no room inside.

Went up there today to take a peek - just wearing my beekeeping jacket plus latex gloves rather than full suit. They erupted from the nuc when I gently popped the top, and attacked. Several stings to the legs and to the hands through the gloves. I retreated - they followed. Eventually got back into the house - they are pinging the back door glass trying to get in.

They are the most aggressive stingy bees I've ever come across.

Went out the front of my house to get my gear from the car, and they found me there as well. 2 more stings - one on the ear, and another on my hand. Bloody hell!

Got into the full mesh suit, broke out the steel toecap boots plus gaiters, 2 pairs of gloves plus wrist gaiters. Lit the smoker - got that going full steam. Then took another look.

The nuc is full - absolutely stuffed with bees. They are also under it, on the front, and flying around being bloody hooligans. They are also shouting very loudly. Got more stings to the hands through 2 pairs of gloves - but the suit stood up to their onslaught. Need to get the leather ones out next time - never used them before. Added a 1/2 super on top with undrawn frames to give them more space.

Now need to get a replacement queen asap to get rid of those nasty nasty genes.

This swarm gave me more stings than I have ever had before, combined.

Sorry to hear about your swarm. Hive them...if you can get near ...
Leather gloves are worse than nitryl l.as you cannot see or feel the stings so the alarm pheromones build up....it can get REALLY nasty.

Helen,
What can I say other than well done. Let us know if you tame them. Not sure I would have bothered!
E

Helen,
What can I say other than well done. Let us know if you tame them. Not sure I would have bothered!
E

Don't think she had much say in the matter...they moved in to her nuc.

Interesting Helen. Something similar is happening here. For the last week or so, I can’t get to the apiary without some bees coming at me (not in a friendly way). This was never the case before, just started few days ago.
Not sure which hive this is, but I did catch a swarm last Sat (from one of my hives). Your post makes me think maybe this swarm is the culprit...
They were quite cramped in a 8 frame converted Paynes nuc, today transferred to a full hive, including couple of supers on top as they’re bringing in resources like a train...

Well, they may not realise it yet, but they are on a losing wicket. That's non-negotiable. I won't tolerate aggression like that especially in my back garden.

Plan is to close the nuc down this evening (it's on the garage roof), hoping the outside ones will have moved inside with the extra space I gave them. Then lower it to the ground.

Take it tomorrow to the apiary where I've got an empty full-sized hive which I can put them in. Add a load of new undrawn frames, super and see what happens.

I'll put on 3 or 4 layers of nitrile gloves - maybe a pair of mariogolds as well, if leather ones may cause them to react more.

Maybe they are just aggressive because they decided to move into a space not big enough for them. Will see. Otherwise, the queen will be found and replaced.

No idea where the bees came from - they aren't mine.

Last edited:
Well, they may not realise it yet, but they are on a losing wicket. That's non-negotiable. I won't tolerate aggression like that especially in my back garden.

Plan is to close the nuc down this evening (it's on the garage roof), hoping the outside ones will have moved inside with the extra space I gave them. Then lower it to the ground.

Take it tomorrow to the apiary where I've got an empty full-sized hive which I can put them in. Add a load of new undrawn frames, super and see what happens.

I'll put on 3 or 4 layers of nitrile gloves - maybe a pair of mariogolds as well, if leather ones may cause them to react more.

Maybe they are just aggressive because they decided to move into a space not big enough for them. Will see. Otherwise, the queen will be found and replaced.

No idea where the bees came from - they aren't mine.
I feel your sorrow, pain and regret - but they are now :) Do let us know how you solve this.

If you can't feel the stings then it escalates.... 4 layers of nitryl is equivalent one thick leather.

Sorry to hear about your swarm. Hive them...if you can get near ...
Leather gloves are worse than nitryl l.as you cannot see or feel the stings so the alarm pheromones build up....it can get REALLY nasty.

How can you clean the leather gloves?
Buy new ones.

Ok then. 2 pairs of nitriles, soaked in liquid smoke ;)

I use a pair of yellow marigolds with a pair of blue nitriles on top ... never had a bee sting come through to my skin. Try also getting some Olbas Oil and rub a few drops on the nitriles when you've put them on .. the bees tend to move away from your hands as they don't like the smell.

Other than that .. bomb proof suit, taped wrists and gaiters .. queen for the gatepost !

I use a pair of yellow marigolds with a pair of blue nitriles on top ... never had a bee sting come through to my skin. Try also getting some Olbas Oil and rub a few drops on the nitriles when you've put them on .. the bees tend to move away from your hands as they don't like the smell.

Other than that .. bomb proof suit, taped wrists and gaiters .. queen for the gatepost !

+1

Or Avon Skin So Soft Original.

This morning, I moved them to the apiary. As they were on the garage roof, they got lowered down on the end of a rope and then into the back of the car. Short trip to their new home. They had filled the super I added yesterday (with bees, not stores). Also over 6 14x12 brood frames, plus all over the floor, and walls. Found more under the nuc clinging on to the mesh. They were already into comb-building mode off the sides of the nuc.

Added some undrawn brood frames into the empty hive, and after a little bit of smoke so I could see the lugs, moved the frames into the hive, interspersing the undrawn frames with them. Upturned the nuc over the hive, and as there was a lot still in the box, gently smoked them down. They went willingly into the hive. Likewise, emptied the super into the hive, put a queen excluder on top, then added 2 supers with undrawn frames.

All without much aggression at all. Didn't get a single sting; a few bees were hovering around the veil, but that was it. 20 minutes later, bees doing orientation flights out the front entrance, and all was calm.

I gave them 14 brood frames all-in-all - most undrawn, plus the 2 undrawn supers. That'll keep them busy for a while. Didn't look for the queen - I'll check again in a week and see how they are.

Very well done and the two issues I would high light from this is that swarms can be bloody nasty and they do like nuc boxes.

PH

Sure they like nuc boxes but they prefer something bigger. Had them hang around for a few days even building comb and then off again . Admittedly they were way to big for box and bearded out the front

Latest posts

Back