Advice for re-queening and aggressive hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We found the feisty queen and marked her, put her in a clip between frames until new queen arrived. Putting the new queen in was nasty as they were very aggressive but two stings later she was inserted between frames and the old queen squished, that wasnt a nice thing to do. Three days later, delayed by bad weather, there was no sign the bees were attacking her. I struggled to get the tabs off as I was nervous of them and shaking so much but they seemed calmer already. Now to wait until friday to check for supercedure.

I wore a forensic style paper suit under my bee suit as extra layer of protection. Any opinions on if it would work/help? Apart from being incredibly hot! Bee stings hurt but its the 3 days of incessant itching that Id like to avoid.
Sounds like a good result, I'd just leave them alone for a couple of weeks.
Itch reaction may get less as you get stung more. 2 stings is a normal inspection for me, usually trapping a bee between fingers, but I usually work gloveless.

Well done
But once she's released as said above leave them well alone.

Extra layer of thick clothing under the suit is what I do if dealing with monsters and nitrile gloves under industrial type marigolds.
Fear is a healthy thing but It can get in the way.

I welcome the odd nip as it maintains a degree of immunity that's handy when you really get a walloping.
From having gargantuan swellings that bruised black I now don't get significant reactions anymore ,nettle stings are usually worse.

In the hot summer 2 years ago I bought a ventilated suit. It is also sting proof. It actually is, even if I no longer react to stings after the initial "ouch". Brilliant in hot weather. Did an inspection today in full sun. No sweat at all

In the hot summer 2 years ago I bought a ventilated suit. It is also sting proof. It actually is, even if I no longer react to stings after the initial "ouch". Brilliant in hot weather. Did an inspection today in full sun. No sweat at all
Can you recommend one or where did you get yours from? As a lady of a certain age, any ventilation is welcome ;)

I got mine from old castle farm. Very pleased with it. Not tried any others. I believe old castle do a suit especially fitted to a lady's shape.

We found the feisty queen and marked her, put her in a clip between frames until new queen arrived. Putting the new queen in was nasty as they were very aggressive but two stings later she was inserted between frames and the old queen squished, that wasnt a nice thing to do. Three days later, delayed by bad weather, there was no sign that the bees were attacking her. I struggled to get the tabs off as I was nervous of them and shaking so much but they seemed calmer already. Now to wait until friday to check for supercedure.

I wore a forensic style paper suit under my bee suit as extra layer of protection. Any opinions on if it would work/help? Apart from being incredibly hot! Bee stings hurt but its the 3 days of incessant itching that Id like to avoid.
The hive was checked last week and I saw the new queen being totally ignored by the workers and she hadnt started laying. Left it another week, so 3 weeks after the tabs were removed. No eggs and no queen. Is it unusual to get a duff queen?
Ive introduced 2 frames of eggs and larvae from another hive. How long do I now wait to check for QC? I know Im running out of time to get a mated queen before end of summer given our current weather.

The hive was checked last week and I saw the new queen being totally ignored by the workers and she hadnt started laying. Left it another week, so 3 weeks after the tabs were removed. No eggs and no queen. Is it unusual to get a duff queen?
Ive introduced 2 frames of eggs and larvae from another hive. How long do I now wait to check for QC? I know Im running out of time to get a mated queen before end of summer given our current weather.
3 days.
You don’t need two frames either. One will do.

Latest posts

Back