Tree removal close to hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retired bill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The farmer who owens the woodland that backs on to my garden has told me the Trees on the other side of my garden fence will soon be cut down there are three trees. The problem is two of the trees are very close the my Hive about 3 to 5 metres also the noise and machinery used could upset the Bee's because this is not a 5 minuet job.
My question is what can I do to safe guard the hive and Bee,s.

Regards bill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 79
Should they be cutting them down this time of year when birds are nesting? I doubt it unless theres an urgent reason.

The farmer who owens the woodland that backs on to my garden has told me the Trees on the other side of my garden fence will soon be cut down there are three trees. The problem is two of the trees are very close the my Hive about 3 to 5 metres also the noise and machinery used could upset the Bee's because this is not a 5 minuet job.
My question is what can I do to safe guard the hive and Bee,s.

Regards bill

Depends how long you have but if you move the hives each night little by little (3 feet 3 mile rule) you should be able to make some distance from the cutting then move them back by the same method when he has finished.
To be honest, you could probably get away with moving them a bit more than 3 feet at a time with the look of your set up as there seems little chance of them getting lost with one hive to find. I think the others on here will agree. Hope that helps.:)

Should they be cutting them down this time of year when birds are nesting? I doubt it unless theres an urgent reason.

Thats a very good point. The tree will be growing now too so the sap will just clog the tools.

If he's determined to go ahead, seal them in with a foam strip. If the trees fall on your property, he is completely liable for any damage caused

Last edited:
Yes I agree, the reason he is cutting them down is because a tree on the other side for the wood land fell over and caused some damage to a house, I don,t think he has a choice.

bill

Depends how long you have but if you move the hives each night little by little (3 feet 3 mile rule) you should be able to make some distance from the cutting then move them back by the same method when he has finished.
To be honest, you could probably get away with moving them a bit more than 3 feet at a time with the look of your set up as there seems little chance of them getting lost with one hive to find. I think the others on here will agree. Hope that helps.:)
:iagree: Move them as far as you can in the timescale and if needs be shut them in for the duration. IF anything does happen, they are on your land and your neighbour and his contractors will be liable (worst case). Are they felling the trees or taking them down via climbing and from top down?

Best of luck.

Thats a very good point. The tree will be growing now too so the sap will just clog the tools.

If he's determined to go ahead, seal them in with a foam strip. If the trees fall on your property, he is completely liable for any damage caused

As I said I don,t think hes has a choice It must be something to do with insurance ?. How long would the bee,s stand being blocked in the hive. I would have to block them in when the flying bee,s return in the evening and let them out when work stops the next day do you think that would suffice.
bill

As I said I don,t think hes has a choice It must be something to do with insurance ?. How long would the bee,s stand being blocked in the hive. I would have to block them in when the flying bee,s return in the evening and let them out when work stops the next day do you think that would suffice.
bill

OR......you could also move them whilst you have time then if a branch falls by accident, you won't have a crushed hive. Foam won't help you then! :)

OR......you could also move them whilst you have time then if a branch falls by accident, you won't have a crushed hive. Foam won't help you then! :)

:yeahthat:Move them as far as you can in the time. Please try to get your neighbour to have the trees taken down from the top, less risk of damage to your property.

I would have to block them in when the flying bee,s return in the evening and let them out when work stops the next day do you think that would suffice.
bill

I am assuming that you have open mesh floors so they have plenty of ventilation. They would be annoyed by being sealed in but they could survive the experience, particularly if it is a cool day. It would be more risky if it was a hot day (not too many of those around at the moment).
Would this really take a whole day? I wouldn't have thought it would take that long.
Obviously, it would be safer if the hives weren't there at all, but, moving them brings its own problems (and work).

shut them in at/after sunset the day before.
move the hive to a safe distance (1.5 x height of tree) - you could do this early in the morning if it's too dark the previous evening.
move hive back after work complete and let them out.

and they'll be fine being shut in for most of a day.

I bow to your superior knowledge not worthy

So do I, I believe Pete is a 'countryman' in the 'old' sense. If needs be we have trees felled when it suits, single farm payment allowing of course. BUT if you can move the hive AND try to get the trees taken down from the top, less sudden disruption.

:yeahthat:Move them as far as you can in the time. Please try to get your neighbour to have the trees taken down from the top, less risk of damage to your property.
Theeggman
Yes he is using a Tree company he has explained that thay will start from the top and thay will be using hydraulic access platforms ( pleased Im not paying for it). I have asked him if he coud delay the job untill the winter when the bee,s are not out forraging as mutch?
That's good advice when the time comes I will move the hive as far away as I can 3 feet at a time.
Thanks bill

I trust that the gent - or the company he uses - takes appropriate steps to check the trees not only for birds nests but, more significantly, any form of bat roost. Large, old trees often have summer roosts and any bat roost is protected at all times ie. not only when it is occupied. Some large trees, with well insulated cavities (surprise, surprise!) may provide roosts all year round. The protection covers damage, destruction or obstruction of access to a roost.

Bat Conservation website if you want to give your neighbour the heads up; http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/bats_and_the_law.html
though a reputable company should be aware of these matters (and it does sound professional - or at least expensive! - with the use of an access platform!)

And I guess they've already checked to ensure that the trees aren't covered by a Tree Preservation Order - that's the easy one!

Whatever happens, I hope you and your bees survive unscathed - and not too stressed out!

sap is rising now, or has risen, not usually....unless emergency.

but who would you call to complain, if the trees are on his land, the tree police!

if they are old trees, there could also be potential for roosting bats (in broken limbs, rot holes etc).

If I were the OP, have a look to see if any nests are clearly visible and if so, tell the farmer to delay until the end of august.

It's crazy to be felling trees at this time of year when people have had all winter to do it

hi bill, I keep a few hives in my woodland and have used chainsaws right next to a hive, never found it to be a problem

hi bill, I keep a few hives in my woodland and have used chainsaws right next to a hive, never found it to be a problem

If the trees could be felled in one drop onto the farmers land then sawn up once down that would be the quickest and least disruptive process.
A competent guy with a chainsaw could have them down in minutes ( and drop them precisely where he wants them).

Back