Town & Country?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gut the lot ASAP on the day with my taste buds, deer do get hung over night but only to please me and for my my convenience and bleed to them, everything else is done and dusted in one shebang, anything left hanging to long (more than two days) or gut shot is dog food for me, unless cleaned instantly.

A myth believed by ill educated townies - .

You missed my point, which was;

I'd sooner eat something that had been shot than ground into the road and left there at an unknown time and date it was scraped up for the table!

How about hedgehog. I found one stumbling around the lawn in the freezing cold last night. Shall I feed him or eat him?

How about hedgehog. I found one stumbling around the lawn in the freezing cold last night. Shall I feed him or eat him?

Feed. They are endangered and in fast decline in the UK. They need all the help they can get in this world of concrete driveways and fences. I used to see them all time as a kid, not just squashed on the road either, but now I can't remember the last time I saw one.

:nono: not sure even the Gypsies eat them nowadays!

How do you know it's a he? Mealworms from the bird-table would be good?

Otherwise, I think it's fish free cat food.

Feed. They are endangered and in fast decline in the UK. . . . . . now I can't remember the last time I saw one.

When they knocked down the house next door, (incomer from the town got on the Parish Council then planning permission to replace the Georgian Cottage), they pulled up the hedge and put close-boarded fence!

There's nowhere for them to hibernate there in any case. All buldosed for manicured lawns & sunken patio!

Had one on the lawn a few years ago - caught out in a cold snap after a warm period - lived in a large plastic box in the kitchen for a month or so with the off foray out for exercise) until it had gained weight again and we had a suitable mild period to release it.
Word of warning - for a tiy little creature the stink of its poo is out of all proportion!!

Feed. They are endangered and in fast decline in the UK. They need all the help they can get in this world of concrete driveways and fences. I used to see them all time as a kid, not just squashed on the road either, but now I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Find a badgers set and you'll soon see why they are on decline.

I have weighed and wormed HER. She is far too light at 350g to hibernate so she is ensconced in a dog cage in the conservatory. Stan has knocked up a box which is filled with straw and she has food and water. We shall see how fat we can get her before we eat her :D
Thank you for the advice re the poo JBM. Bracken likes to roll in it if he finds it in the garden :(

:nono: not sure even the Gypsies eat them nowadays!

How do you know it's a he? Mealworms from the bird-table would be good?

Otherwise, I think it's fish free cat food.

When they knocked down the house next door, (incomer from the town got on the Parish Council then planning permission to replace the Georgian Cottage), they pulled up the hedge and put close-boarded fence!

There's nowhere for them to hibernate there in any case. All buldosed for manicured lawns & sunken patio!
Yeh I'm not sure what the attraction is with pristine gardens and fences. There's nothing better than a wild looking garden with autumn leaves scattered over the grass. It's good for the wildlife. If the grass is longish, dandelions are sprouting etc I don't see a mess, I see life.

Last edited:
A hedgehog that visited my mothers garden liked eating cat food i put out for a wild cat, I lived for year and had little ones one year, apparently they are full of flees

A hedgehog that visited my mothers garden liked eating cat food i put out for a wild cat, I lived for year and had little ones one year, apparently they are full of flees

Friend of mine use to let a fox come into her kitchen and eat dog food; I thought she was insane.

Eventually she had to stop after it gave her ringworm.

You are not wrong there, i had a terrier that used to kill them no matter what i did to try and stop him, every time he grabbed one he would be riddled in them.

Friend of mine use to let a fox come into her kitchen and eat dog food; I thought she was insane.

I know someone who saved a fox cub from a trap and ended up having it's leg amputated and lived a happy life with the dogs on the sofa

Know someone who used to feed a fox every day in their conservatory. It was picked up by a pack of hounds way back in the days of proper hunting and decided to take shelter in said conservatory after a long and 'hot' chase.
I must say the ensuing mess was pretty impressive - they had to redecorate the whole thing.

You are not wrong there, i had a terrier that used to kill them no matter what i did to try and stop him, every time he grabbed one he would be riddled in them.

Apparently, hedgehog fleas cannot survive on cats, dogs or humans. Which I hope is true as I currently have an underweight juvenile. It's* being fed up for... a Christmas dinner starter?

*I don't know which model it is as I no longer have a glass topped table for it to wander over while I peer at its bits from underneath. Does anyone have any other suggestions for sussing which gender variety it is? Ta

Apparently, hedgehog fleas cannot survive on cats, dogs or humans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Fleas may not survive after trying to live on humans but they'll give it a very good try! There must be something you can buy to kill them off safely?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for sussing which gender variety it is? Ta
Why do you need to know? Planning on getting enough to start a breeding program?

Apparently, hedgehog fleas cannot survive on cats, dogs or humans. Which I hope is true as I currently have an underweight juvenile. It's* being fed up for... a Christmas dinner starter?

*I don't know which model it is as I no longer have a glass topped table for it to wander over while I peer at its bits from underneath. Does anyone have any other suggestions for sussing which gender variety it is? Ta

Healthy hedgehogs don't have much of a problem with fleas and yes, they are peculiar to them
Pop it onto a towel on a table and gently but firmly stroke it from front to back and it will eventually uncurl. It may take a few minutes or so but it usually works

Apparently, hedgehog fleas cannot survive on cats, dogs or humans.

I think that's correct - never had a flea issue when hedgy (our adopted hedgehog) was lodging with us and our cocker (who was notorious for killing hedgepigs - amongst other things) never got fleas.
I believe also that there is a crucial symbiosis between the hedgehog and its fleas, they are essential for the hedgehog's survival and any attempt to deflea will result in the hedgehog's death.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for sussing which gender variety it is? Ta

Count the spines - the male will have an extra pr................

Back