top/bottom beespace

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 Nats and 1 tbh
I have been offered some kit, mainly two Th***es Nationals, about 13 years old (plastic runners) but only used for one season and a number of supers. I had a look at them but they are top beespace and all my equipment is bottom beespace. I could use them as two stand alone hives but really want all the boxes to be interchangeable. just wondered if I could alter them without too much work?

Should be no problem, just take out the runners, add 2 slips of 7mm softwood trim, re-attach runners. A lot easier than converting the other way.

Should be no problem, just take out the runners, add 2 slips of 7mm softwood trim, re-attach runners. A lot easier than converting the other way.

I fear that is close to "simple, obvious and wrong". :)

Yes, it removes the space at the top and provides space under the frames.

But what it doesn't do is to provide any beespace above the lugs in the box beneath.
The converted box would be sitting directly upon the lower box's lugs.
And consequently those lugs will be a propolis magnet - so that when you lift the top box you will find that the lower box's frames are well attached ...

Just as converting "the other way" requires removal of material at the top, so converting this way requires removal of material at the bottom!

Making up hives in non-standard ways is an individual customisation.
And so, by reducing the target market, reduces their resale value.
If its non standard, it might as well be completely different.

You could have with you a removeable spacer frame, the thickness of 9mm that you fit either above or below the box to use when necessary.

I have a number of these which I use with unframed wire queen excluders bought at Th*rnes sale as they were cheap. I find they work very well.

Or spend a day modifying all the boxes to bottom bee space.

First thing I would check is that they have actually put runners in! If you don't put them in it looks as though there is a top bee space! You would be amazed how many people make them up wrong!

I fear that is close to "simple, obvious and wrong". :)

Yes, it removes the space at the top and provides space under the frames.

But what it doesn't do is to provide any beespace above the lugs in the box beneath.
The converted box would be sitting directly upon the lower box's lugs.
And consequently those lugs will be a propolis magnet - so that when you lift the top box you will find that the lower box's frames are well attached ...

Just as converting "the other way" requires removal of material at the top, so converting this way requires removal of material at the bottom!

Making up hives in non-standard ways is an individual customisation.
And so, by reducing the target market, reduces their resale value.
If its non standard, it might as well be completely different.

All true, but I've got boxes made without the bottom rebate and they still work, albeit sub-optimally.

First thing I would check is that they have actually put runners in! If you don't put them in it looks as though there is a top bee space! You would be amazed how many people make them up wrong!

Enrico
There are no runners, or not as I would expect to see. They bought these boxes years ago at a show from Th***es and they have plastic "runners" which are attached to the inners sides of the wall but only come up to the top. There is nothing above the rebate. I will place a runner in and see where the frames come to but certainly looked like tbs to me. There are two hives, seven supers and other useful equipment that I would like to buy but not if the conversion to bbs is too much trouble.

Enrico
There are no runners, or not as I would expect to see. They bought these boxes years ago at a show from Th***es and they have plastic "runners" which are attached to the inners sides of the wall but only come up to the top. There is nothing above the rebate. I will place a runner in and see where the frames come to but certainly looked like tbs to me. There are two hives, seven supers and other useful equipment that I would like to buy but not if the conversion to bbs is too much trouble.

Put the runner on the top of the rebate and provided they put the sides in the right place I bet you will find it solves your problem! Sounds as though they have made them wrong.
E

Latest posts

Back