To wasp or not to wasp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quevy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
0 !
As a kid, we were told to destroy immediately all wasp nests. It used to be a free service by local fire fighters.

Nowadays, trend seems to be changed and nests are not destroyed unless they are considered a danger for humans.

Every time I observe my hive, there are a few wasps hunting around the hive. As soon as a sick (old?) bee is evicted from the hive, the wasp attacks the bee, bite off the abdomen part, eats it and leaves the thorax and head agonizing.

Since wasps dont enter the hive or attack healthy bees, it seems acceptable. At least from my point of view but sick bees might think differently.

Should I track the wasps, locate the nest and destroy it or do you advise to leave as is ?

(and its wasps not hornets let alone velutina)

Since wasps dont enter the hive or attack healthy bees, it seems acceptable. At least from my point of view but sick bees might think differently.

Should I track the wasps, locate the nest and destroy it or do you advise to leave as is ?

Basically, you've seen wasps scavenging for protein on the ground (bees and other insects) which they take back to their nests to feed the larva. This isn't a problem for beekeepers. What is a problem is when the wasps are entering the hive to take bees/honey, which does happen.

If your colonies are strong enough to defend against wasps then you need do nothing. That said, trapping wasps is a preventative measure that may help to keep them out of your hives.

I would not advise destroying wasp nests before the nest has matured and produced next years queens. If wasps are still foraging proteins then this is a sign that their colony could still be rearing queens. Wasps are beneficial insects and should generally be left to their own devices.

As a kid, we were told to destroy immediately all wasp nests. It used to be a free service by local fire fighters.

Nowadays, trend seems to be changed and nests are not destroyed unless they are considered a danger for humans.

Every time I observe my hive, there are a few wasps hunting around the hive. As soon as a sick (old?) bee is evicted from the hive, the wasp attacks the bee, bite off the abdomen part, eats it and leaves the thorax and head agonizing.

(and its wasps not hornets let alone velutina)

I would not bother as unless you destroy every wasps' nest within a mile radius...it's called "micturating into the wind"..

I ignore wasps..robbing screens and 1 beespace underfloor entrances on nucs.. full size hives have mainly underfloor entrances /and/or are too big to worry about wasps...

I checked my gives last night and saw one rather frantic looking wasp under the glass crown board. I've got a piece of mesh covering the feeding holes to stop them sneaking in that way (or out it seems!). The bees didn't appear to be too agreessive to it though - quite passive in fact. I'd imagine WW3 would have broken out in there. Is there a reason for them either not noticing or actively leaving the wasp alone?

I checked my gives last night and saw one rather frantic looking wasp under the glass crown board. I've got a piece of mesh covering the feeding holes to stop them sneaking in that way (or out it seems!). The bees didn't appear to be too agreessive to it though - quite passive in fact. I'd imagine WW3 would have broken out in there. Is there a reason for them either not noticing or actively leaving the wasp alone?
By the time it's survived a little in the hive it will have the hive smell.
I doubt it will find its way out though.
I've seen one or two under my crown boards

Thank you all for the help.

Will make 1 wasp trap next to the hive and see what happens.
Wasp nest will be left unharmed.

Back