To treat or not for varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's OK Chris, I know that Finman is absolutely right in his world. But constantly trying to correct something that is perceived to be wrong speaks volumes.

jep. They are your hives. Do as you like. Life teaches.

I would think that a good starting point would be to actively monitor feral colonies for survival rates plus a few people with land to try some local mongrel bee colonies using the no treatment no messing routine.

The worst that can happen in the second proposal is that a few bee colonies die out, no big deal there.

(In Yorkshire or UK, not Finland)

Chris

(In Yorkshire or UK, not Finland)

Chris

in Finland we have Juhani Lunden who has breeded varroa tolerant bees for years.
Then we have O. Olsson who has keeped varroa resistant Elgon bees.

You find them boath from internet.

Neither of them have captured "feral colonies". They make international co-operation to get resistant genes to their strains.

Chris, I know you enough that you do not know much about bee breeding.

Chris, I know you enough that you do not know much about bee breeding.

There are some members of this forum that know a little about me or have met me, but you you don't know me at all Finman and know nothing about me.

Perhaps we could just stick to the subject?

Chris

There are some members of this forum that know a little about me or have met me, but you you don't know me at all Finman and know nothing about me.

Perhaps we could just stick to the subject?

Chris

and you know nothing about me or about Finland even if you repeat that word quite often.

We are quite even in this thing.

and you know nothing about me or about Finland even if you repeat that word quite often.

I never ever say or write things about you - let's be clear about that, I'm not interested in personal remarks.

Anyway, I have excluded Finland and stuck to Countries I know a great deal about, the UK and France when talking about this subject, but what I do know about Finland is that honey bees were introduced there originally from Germany and did not live there naturally before that time. This may lead me towards thinking it may not be the best Country to practice what some would call a more natural or less manipulative approach to bee keeping.

Chris

Hmm

Seen that article before.. I would not use the Daily Mail as a reference for anything factual. Their journalistic history does not inspire confidence in the veracity of the story.

" Bees surviving Spanish flu which wiped out every bee in the UK"

Spherical objects.

Worse is coming.

End of the world is coming 21.12.2012. (Inka calendar)

Galaxies Andromeda and Milky Way will melt together

Last edited:
Just adding more to this debate .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/04/wildlife.environment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/may/18/black-bee-co-op-population

from the 2008 article .

Robin Moritz, coordinator of an EU research network on Beekeeping and Apis Biodiversity in Europe (Babe) from 2001 to 2003, says a bee adapted to colder climates may fare better at fighting off fungal infections that germinate when bees are confined to their hive for months at a time. He says: "If we create a pan-European bee, it will be difficult to get back to the original subspecies that had adapted to particular habitats and climates. Commercial selection is directly opposite to what natural selection would achieve."

Bloodsucking parasite

By breeding a gentle, efficient honey-maker, he warns, we have made bees much more susceptible to disease than they would be if natural selection had played a role. Moritz believes the predominance of the Italian bee is a major reason why the varroa mite - a bloodsucking parasite that lives on western honeybees and spreads viruses - has proved so lethal across Europe. "Without a doubt," he says, "commercial selection has allowed the mite to flourish."

In Britain, Italian immigrants filled the void after the native honeybee was practically wiped out by a virus first detected on the Isle of Wight 100 years ago

Just adding more to this debate .

In Britain, Italian immigrants filled the void after the native honeybee was practically wiped out by a virus first detected on the Isle of Wight 100 years ago[/I]

I thought that it was tracheal mite.

Honeybee has 32 different pest and diseases. If you do not accept that fact, it is better to leave the whole beekeeping and get less dangerous hobbies.

Honeybee has 32 different pest and diseases. If you do not accept that fact, it is better to leave the whole beekeeping and get less dangerous hobbies.

Man has over 150 infectious diseases plus hundreds of other syndromes but i keep breathing . Cough , cough . JUST . :;-:

Hmm

Seen that article before.. I would not use the Daily Mail as a reference for anything factual. Their journalistic history does not inspire confidence in the veracity of the story.

" Bees surviving Spanish flu which wiped out every bee in the UK"

Spherical objects.

Yeah, the article was mostly rubbish, but the reference to the dark bees was, I thought, relevant.

There's mapping of AMM here http://www.co-operative.coop/Plan-Bee/Whats-our-plan/Native-Bees/ and http://www.co-operative.coop/Corporate/CSR/planbee/maximum_amm_map_high_res.pdf

And that is a load of rubbish too.

Nothing in Aberdeenshire or any of the NE of Scotland? LOL Nonsense.

PH

I know the standard is to put the treatment on in Aug/sept dependant on where you are in the uk, but would it be worth also putting a single 2week treatment on the hives during the june gap, just after taking the OSR/spring crop and before putting supers back on for the main crop? and still doing the main treatment at the end of the season when the supers come off.

that way you would be keeping the mites down right through the season. It would be really intresting to hear what some of the people who use hivemakers recipe think about doing that.

I was reading a thread the other day can not remember the title of it but there was a statement made which I felt was so stupid. Now some of you may have read it. It said that a prime swarm probably did not need treating as most of the mites would be left behind in the old hive.

Now I treated a swarm two days ago with Oxalic Acid. Yesterday they dropped 115 today so far there were 58, this will rise by this evening. So yes I would say swarms need treating as do colonies before and during winter.

Now I treated a swarm two days ago with Oxalic Acid. Yesterday they dropped 115 today so far there were 58, this will rise by this evening. So yes I would say swarms need treating as do colonies before and during winter.

well done!

Back