Timing of QC transfer to mating nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekake

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I transferred some eggs into a rearing colony last Sunday (9 days ago, using a cupkit system). The queen had been in the cupkit since the evening of the Thursday (13 days ago). As far as I can remember, the eggs were all still pointing up (not laying down) when they were transferred.

Just over half of the transferred eggs have been developed into queen cells, which I checked 2 days ago...they are sealed, and are of good size.

Ideally, I would transfer the cells on Thursday (a clear 2d before the earliest laid egg would have turned into a hatched queen), but I'm not able to. If I transfer on Wednesday, I run the risk that the the pupating queen from an egg laid just before transfer might still be in a 'delicate' stage.

I can transfer them on Friday pm but this might be running a bit close to the earliest hatch date or, worse, a queen might already have emerged and be busy killing the other queens.

So, what would you do with this dilemma...transfer early and risk damaging a queen, or wait and risk all the effort of rearing being undermined by a determined virgin queen?

You can get cages to go over the queen cells to stop them attacking other queens/cells. I would move them early as long as you are gentle they should be ok. You dont have much to loose as leaving them could end up in a queen hatching and killing the rest.

Does that system not have the cages / hair rollers to hold any early emerging queens. Failing the cages and if you have the time why not go with some on Wednesday and the remainder Friday.

Thanks both! You gave me enough of a push to get the job done today. 7 mating nucs made up, and one AS given a cell (to avoid them rearing an aggressive queen like their mother!). Only downside was that I slipped as I was carrying the poly nuc box with the rearing frame in it ( with the final cell on it). I think I probably fell harder than the nuc, but I don't hold out much hope for that one!

Fingers crossed now for good weather in the next two weeks!

Hmmm. Well, checked a couple of the cells today (v quickly). Neither had hatched, and today is the 16th day after the latest possible laying date (I.e the eggs were laid immediately before transfer). Which either means they are leaving it to the last minute to hatch...or the transfer damaged the queens during their 'sensitive' phase. I hope the former. Can they ever take 17 days to hatch?

So, out of eight cells transferred, I got four mated queens. Two of the mating nucs were queenless with laying workers, one queen cell was damaged (hole in side, as per last month's bbka mag) and one queen did not hatch. Three of those nucs were started with minimal drawn comb, while the others had 3 or 4 little combs. Coincidence?

Well done beekake that’s better than my first attempt at grafting. Fourteen grafts, eleven initially taken that has dwindled down to perhaps two or even one as one is inconclusive right now hatched queens. Aaaa the highs and lows of beekeeping still great fun and looking forward to more attempts next year.
Good luck with your queens.

Well done at a first attempt, but do remember eggs 'hatch' and pupae' emerge'.(well actually the queens, in this case, emerge)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back