Tiglio

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm skiing in Italy at the moment and tried some local honey this morning. It was a very strong flavour, rather medicinal and was stamped 'Tiglio'. From the Anzac valley. Anyone know what it was?

I would try Google but I just get Google/It. and unfortunately I only speak a few words :)

Frisbee

just done a google translate and it seems to be lindon/lime. maybe wrong though

Last edited:
Ahh.....thanks. I love the smell of Lime trees in flower, there are a lot in my
local village and I always hoped I would get some honey from them, but now I've tried it, I'm not so sure, a bit too medicinal for my liking.

Frisbee

Honey with high lime content has a green tint !
There is a stand of lime trees within a hundred yards of my hives . Bees display drunkenness when working lime :)
VM

My west London bees normally rely on lime trees, but there was virtually no flow from lime last summer as it was so dry earlier. The difference in taste was very noticeable - normally our honey is very aromatic, absolutely delicious, and this year without the lime it was rather disappointing. I wouldn't have described the taste of lime as "medicinal" - perhaps the limes in Italy are a slightly different variety. Or perhaps 100% lime is just too much of a good thing!
Mel

size wise perhaps they meant the inflorescence rather than the individual flowers.

The native limes in italy are:

Tilia cordata = tiglio selvatico (wild lime)
Tilia platyphyllos = tiglio nostrale o tiglio nostrano (local/homegrown lime).

I believe lime needs warm and humid conditions to secrete well. And there is that unusual species of lime that kill bees, hence the accumulations of dead bumble bees you can find under one.

Ahh.....thanks. I love the smell of Lime trees in flower, there are a lot in my
local village and I always hoped I would get some honey from them, but now I've tried it, I'm not so sure, a bit too medicinal for my liking.

Frisbee
Frisbee
If you live were I think you live then you will know there are 100s of lime trees in Melton my bees love them

Thinking of going to the milky way soon for some skiing, any other recommendations for Italy?

Thinking of going to the milky way soon for some skiing, any other recommendations for Italy?

yeah, dont accept the complimentary plum schnapps or have more than one bombardino at a lunchtime "on piste" cafe

:willy_nilly:

Milky Way is good extensive skiing. I also liked Champoluc/Gressoney/Alagna. I'm in a tiny resort virtually unknown to the British market, it's small but v quiet, no lift queues and reasonable prices. Italy does tend to be cheaper than France, better groomed pistes and friendlier locals.

Frisbee

Frisbee, what colour is it?

Hmmm.... Bit difficult to exactly describe a colour, and it's from memory now. I didn't take that much notice and it was in a piste side restaurant with limited natural light, medium fudge brown, quite hard and I wouldn't like ta say it had a tinge of green about it either, but the lighting was poor.

Frisbee

Not darkish then......a honeydew honey has a vaguely 'medicinal' smell.

A website I've just looked at describes Tiglio honey as:

"This Honey has a light color and a aromatic taste. It is usually produced between June and July and it contains tiliacina. It has diuretic and sudorific properties, it soothes nervous affections and colds. It also has beneficial effects that make sleepy."

Sudorific means it makes you sweat.

Probably not an ideal honey for a skiing holiday!

Friends just back from France brought me some Miel de Tilleul, which I think is lime honey. It has quite a strong taste, have to say didn't really like it!

Latest posts

Back