Colony loss

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylene.baxter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello. this morning I finally found the courage to clear my hive of my dead colony. I am so sad that my bees have not survived my very first winter as a bee keeper. I reached out to my local beekeepers association (I’m in Hertfordshire) and they told me that this winter has resuited in a high percentage of lost colonies. They also advised me not to try to get a colony this year as colonies will come at a premium. I attach photos in case anyone can help me find out what happened. Also should I attempt to get a colony? My mentor got me a colony last year but his work commitment means that he is too busy to help. Thank you.

Attachments

• F59B201E-2F68-4886-87AF-9AED64111737.jpeg
    F59B201E-2F68-4886-87AF-9AED64111737.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • C483D29A-FAEC-4CE4-93C5-49EA6986CC04.jpeg
    C483D29A-FAEC-4CE4-93C5-49EA6986CC04.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 278319AD-2F8F-4297-B9D7-D8430402FDF5.jpeg
    278319AD-2F8F-4297-B9D7-D8430402FDF5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • B43EE4CD-5F70-4BED-81BA-40E82CCD9990.jpeg
    B43EE4CD-5F70-4BED-81BA-40E82CCD9990.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • E2D18B01-8259-4991-8D4D-22D099F1153C.jpeg
    E2D18B01-8259-4991-8D4D-22D099F1153C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 4CA494C9-A457-4C32-8482-591230B3AB35.jpeg
    4CA494C9-A457-4C32-8482-591230B3AB35.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • DDE49539-A6BA-4858-B848-73EE7946F942.jpeg
    DDE49539-A6BA-4858-B848-73EE7946F942.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 8DFFFC39-F954-4A7C-B95D-722149A11C83.jpeg
    8DFFFC39-F954-4A7C-B95D-722149A11C83.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • A29D45B0-2AD5-4D03-AE58-132FA6BF1586.jpeg
    A29D45B0-2AD5-4D03-AE58-132FA6BF1586.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • DAF89A20-4B3B-430E-9F36-CBE4295CD47C.jpeg
    DAF89A20-4B3B-430E-9F36-CBE4295CD47C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 1A044BFB-EA99-4C8F-A3D3-64DB95AB38CD.jpeg
    1A044BFB-EA99-4C8F-A3D3-64DB95AB38CD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3AC8F608-F74F-48F1-BD1E-8F30E76F8BC9.jpeg
    3AC8F608-F74F-48F1-BD1E-8F30E76F8BC9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
With that many bees dead on the floor and outside I would consider chronic bee paralysis virus but that little area of brood with its cappings perforated can indicate a varroa problem. What did you treat with and when?
As for holding back on an another colony I wouldn’t listen to that advice.
Just go for it if you have the dosh.
You could also pick out the cleanest empty comb and put a bait hive up.
Plenty of posts on bait hives if you search.

Interesting .. Robin Dartington was saying that there have been heavy losses in your area as well ... not that some people believed him.... It's really sad to see a colony that has died out but it happens so don't beat yourself up about it. Looking at the photos - they have plenty of stores so it's not starvation. The pile of bees on the floor and outside the hive and just a small cluster of bees left on the face of the comb would suggest that they succumbed to something rather than dwindled. Judging by the state of the bodies they've been dead for some time. I can't see any signs of DWV in the bodies and there are no partially uncapped cells which would suggest it's not varroa related.

Going into winter was the queen laying well ? If not could be queen failure in autumn and the bees that were left just did not have the life left in them to keep going.

There's no sign of any brood disease remaining that I can see ..

Which narrows it down to CBPV, Nosema Ceranae (no sign of dysentery) ... or some external influence. Difficult to tell really ... clean them out, get your bait boxes out and move on.

Interesting .. Robin Dartington was saying that there have been heavy losses in your area as well ... not that some people believed him....
In sure they did believe him. It’s just the explanation that was difficult to understand.

With that many bees dead on the floor and outside I would consider chronic bee paralysis virus but that little area of brood with its cappings perforated can indicate a varroa problem. What did you treat with and when?
Thank you. Yes I did a couple of Apiguard treatments late August early September.

Thank you. Yes I did a couple of Apiguard treatments late August early September
Interesting .. Robin Dartington was saying that there have been heavy losses in your area as well ... not that some people believed him.... It's really sad to see a colony that has died out but it happens so don't beat yourself up about it. Looking at the photos - they have plenty of stores so it's not starvation. The pile of bees on the floor and outside the hive and just a small cluster of bees left on the face of the comb would suggest that they succumbed to something rather than dwindled. Judging by the state of the bodies they've been dead for some time. I can't see any signs of DWV in the bodies and there are no partially uncapped cells which would suggest it's not varroa related.

Going into winter was the queen laying well ? If not could be queen failure in autumn and the bees that were left just did not have the life left in them to keep going.

There's no sign of any brood disease remaining that I can see ..

Which narrows it down to CBPV, Nosema Ceranae (no sign of dysentery) ... or some external influence. Difficult to tell really ... clean them out, get your bait boxes out and move on.
Yes the queen was very active and laying well all the way to the autumn.

Silly advice to give to a beekeeper really unless a total novice. If funds allow order 1 if not look at bait hives plenty of advice here.
Thank you all for your encouraging responses! I will definitely get another one!

With that many bees dead on the floor and outside I would consider chronic bee paralysis virus but that little area of brood with its cappings perforated can indicate a varroa problem
the buildup of dead bees on the floor could have occurred over a period of time, but a shorter period of dwindle than we usually see, probably towards the end of winter. - the last bees seem to have died heads in cells which happens not only with starvation but with 'spring dwindle' bees struggling to keep the remaining cluster warm or a phenomenon akin to isolation starvation.

It looks like there‘s a lot of varroa poop in pics 6 and 7?

I didn't see those two ... mind you, if it had been a heavy infestation I would have expected to see a lot more redundant brood cells rather than just a few. I suspect JBM is right and it was a faster than usual dwindle .... for reasons unknown.

Robin Dartington was saying that there have been heavy losses in your area as well ... not that some people believed him...

I think the concerns were about limited sample sizes and confirmation bias. Clearly some people in the area have suffered heavy losses. Whether there's a definite wider problem or there's some other reason that has meant that certain people have suffered unusually badly doesn't seem to be clear as yet. One swallow does not a summer make. Nor even half a dozen. European or otherwise.

James

I think the concerns were about limited sample sizes and confirmation bias. Clearly some people in the area have suffered heavy losses. Whether there's a definite wider problem or there's some other reason that has meant that certain people have suffered unusually badly doesn't seem to be clear as yet. One swallow does not a summer make. Nor even half a dozen. European or otherwise.

James
No .. one swallow does not ... but a flock of them may !

"I reached out to my local beekeepers association (I’m in Hertfordshire) and they told me that this winter has resuited in a high percentage of lost colonies."

No .. one swallow does not ... but a flock of them may !

"I reached out to my local beekeepers association (I’m in Hertfordshire) and they told me that this winter has resuited in a high percentage of lost colonies."

It may still be anecdotal however, and still subject to confirmation bias. On the other hand if the local BKA has polled all its members and obtained a statistically significant number of responses, and if its members represent a statistically significant proportion of the beeks in the area, then there may be something to think about seriously. Unfortunately that information is not available to us.

James

but who are 'they' and how have they reached that conclusion.
I remember years ago being told that 'everyone' was going to a fundraiser show one Saturday night.
four turned up.

It may still be anecdotal however, and still subject to confirmation bias. On the other hand if the local BKA has polled all its members and obtained a statistically significant number of responses, and if its members represent a statistically significant proportion of the beeks in the area, then there may be something to think about seriously. Unfortunately that information is not available to us.

James

but who are 'they' and how have they reached that conclusion.
I remember years ago being told that 'everyone' was going to a fundraiser show one Saturday night.
four turned up.

Or there again you can just accept that there may be excessive colony over winter losses in Hertfordshire ... At present there's two unconnected anecdotal reports of major losses and no anecdotal reports of few losses.

Latest posts

Back