thrones sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that was a late one for me...
End up doing two orders !!!!! OOPS !!!!!

First lap ,

Grabbed all the stuff off my list, chucked it in my basket and whipped through check out...03.03 a.m.

Second lap

Then went for a second casual stroll around their shop,,,,, and spent the same again !!!!!

As much as it's two orders , it wouldn't fit in one box !!!!! :sunning:

On reflextion , it might not fit in one Van !!!

Last edited:
Note to Gill:

I too spent a lot of time searching for items which were not listed. This searching puts extra load on the web site server and slows everyone down.

Could I suggest that the email sent out in advance of the sale and the web site list items in the same order and under the same group headings. This would help us find items and make the whole ordering process quicker because most people work out their order from the email list in advance.

If an item has sold out or is not available it would make things even better if the item was left on the web list but marked as unavailable. (I realise this last point may not be so easy to implement).

Thanks for a good Sale!

Note to Gill:

I too spent a lot of time searching for items which were not listed. This searching puts extra load on the web site server and slows everyone down.

Could I suggest that the email sent out in advance of the sale and the web site list items in the same order and under the same group headings. This would help us find items and make the whole ordering process quicker because most people work out their order from the email list in advance.

If an item has sold out or is not available it would make things even better if the item was left on the web list but marked as unavailable. (I realise this last point may not be so easy to implement).

Thanks for a good Sale!

ask to be added to the mailing list

I guess most people have done their shopping already and as far as I can see, some stuff is already gone.

I am still in need of some Queen Excluder and I normally use the Wooden Wire Excluder. As far as I can see they are not in the sale, besides the grid only in 2 different sizes. (17 or 18") It says that both are to build your own and for National Hive.... how does that work with 1" difference? Which one do I need if I want to build my own Frame?

Anyone got an idea?

I guess most people have done their shopping already and as far as I can see, some stuff is already gone.

I am still in need of some Queen Excluder and I normally use the Wooden Wire Excluder. As far as I can see they are not in the sale, besides the grid only in 2 different sizes. (17 or 18") It says that both are to build your own and for National Hive.... how does that work with 1" difference? Which one do I need if I want to build my own Frame?

Anyone got an idea?

Standard national crown boards are 460 x 460mm which is 18.1 inches square ... I'm on Paynes polys which have thick walls so the 18" square ones will need a timber frame adding that takes the total measurement of the 'square' out to 500mm x 500mm.

This might help you:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/natexcluder.html

Last edited:
I am hoping that, this year, for the first time ever, I only need to buy frames (just purchased in the sale), wax, Varroa treatment and Certan. Hoping for a cheap year.
I cannot possibly need any more kit or gadgets, can I?
Cazza

Farbee,

It is oft said that 'The truth of the story lies-in the details.'

Another (more common saying?) is ''The devil is in the detail''

I am wondering if one of these were in your mind when posting.

One can only read properly that which is written. Many fail to read the small print and some leave themselves open to misinterpretation by not being sufficiently precise.

I am hoping that, this year, for the first time ever, I only need to buy frames (just purchased in the sale), wax, Varroa treatment and Certan. Hoping for a cheap year.
I cannot possibly need any more kit or gadgets, can I?
Cazza

Do you ever catch up ? I started off beekeeping on a budget - but the bees work faster than I can actually find the time to make enough stuff myself ... it's getting to be an expensive hobby !! Even with my small number of hives ...

Note to self ... start building now for 2016 !!

Which one do I need if I want to build my own Frame?

Either, but you would need timber one half inch wider, if you want everything flush on the hive exterior, if using the smaller size.

Do you ever catch up ? I started off beekeeping on a budget - but the bees work faster than I can actually find the time to make enough stuff myself ... it's getting to be an expensive hobby !! Even with my small number of hives ...

Unfortunately, I have all the DIY skills of a slug. I can make ekes and entrance reducers but that's all.
I have enough kit now for 16 full hives. The bee shed is stuffed full with bits and bobs. It's taken years to get to the point where I am fully stocked. I intend to try to buy nothing kit wise this year. Let's see how I get on!
Cazza

Luka I would go for the 17 inch ones and when you rebate the frames you can get 1.5 inch all round on one side, more one the reverse side, that is what i have gone for.

If the hive is a bottom bee space type, would one need a frame, or could you use it like the rigid plastic National Excluder without frame?

If the hive is a bottom bee space type, would one need a frame, or could you use it like the rigid plastic National Excluder without frame?

You could, but I've found in the past it's a right pain to get off - and you risk distorting the bars thus end up with a queen in the super

I sat down with brother Pete yesterday and made a concise plan for 2015.
The plan revolved around having 10 colonies for producing honey and 5 colonies for breeding ,splits & nuc etc....
This would mean a reduction in total Colony numbers....
Which of course would give me less work and more time to manage our colonies better !

With this in mind i made a sensible list to purchase from the sale.

However after a second lap of the shop at 3 a.m.
The dispatch department will be sending me.
18 brood boxes ,10 supers plus floors and rooves.
200 frames and foundation and maybe a partridge in a pear tree.

Did i get carried away in the sale ?
or as i stayed up till 3 a.m. Did i just make it worth my while ?

These questions and many more will be answered within the year of 2015

The only problem i currently have is, i cannot face put all this lot together as haven't finished assembling the stuff i bought in november.

P.s. They are also sending me some poly nuc's, never really looked at their's so thought i might try some.

Does anyone know the postage charges for Thornes for orders under £100. Only need frames and a few other small items.

When you go to check out , it usually tells you your postage as it goes by weight.

Like most sites, going through the payment system usually shows the shipping costs before you actually get as far as hitting the 'pay now' button.

I think they also have shipping charges on site dependent on weight, if shipping is not free?

I sat down with brother Pete yesterday and made a concise plan for 2015.
The plan revolved around having 10 colonies for producing honey and 5 colonies for breeding ,splits & nuc etc....
This would mean a reduction in total Colony numbers....
Which of course would give me less work and more time to manage our colonies better !

Concise........hmmm..... more like.... fluid, developing, evolving.........:sos::spy:

Enjoy making all the boxes and frames.

Latest posts

Back