This oxalic sublimation thingy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm a new beekeeper this year and want to find out more about this so need a beginners guide. I don't really know what the chemical is but know it has to be used with care. I'm not sure what equipment is needed and the whole thing is a little bit scary to be honest, but I know it's something I need to understand. Can anyone point me in the direction of a complete beginners guide that explains everything about the process?

Not much of a guide is needed.
The chemical is Oxalic Acid dihydrate crystals, freely available from usual suppliers. There is now a licensed product, Apibioxal which comes in small doses.
Legally this is now the only product you can use.
Used in a completely broodless period (the treatment does not reach varroa under cappings) there is 97% removal of mites which is further improved by a second treatment.
Lots of beekeepers use it on colonies with brood in which case you have to apply it three times at five day intervals.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/varroxenglish.html

The warning in yellow at the bottom might have to be taken with a pinch of salt
Lots of beekeepers have altered their floors so that the colony can be vaporised from the back of the hive through the OMF rather than sticking the hot iron in the entrance. This is the way I do it, when the bees have stopped flying I put a bit of tape over the entrance first

Last edited:
I'm a new beekeeper this year and want to find out more about this so need a beginners guide. I don't really know what the chemical is but know it has to be used with care. I'm not sure what equipment is needed and the whole thing is a little bit scary to be honest, but I know it's something I need to understand. Can anyone point me in the direction of a complete beginners guide that explains everything about the process?

This is it basically, however it will be less expensive if you buy a 12v battery separate instead of a John Deer ride on mower, i do it from the rear of the hive though under the open mesh floor using a modified inspection tray to cater for the vaporizer, it is a really easy way of treating for varroa, if you do go down this route do a few experimental runs on a spare hive or outside till you get the hang of it, on the safety side of things DO Not breath any of the vapour in as it is extremely unpleasant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrqfCVXZ4NI

Sublimation being the chemistry term for a direct change from solid to gas, without passing through the liquid stage.

Which is what is happening to the crystals when you heat them up.

Last edited:
on the safety side of things DO Not breath any of the vapour in as it is extremely unpleasant
Very very good advice!!!
Resist the temptation to merely stand upwind of the hive being treated!
Masks ( PP2 / 3 ) are very inexpensive and easy to buy...

Oxalic Acid IS classed as a poison... so please take care in using it.

Cheers

Sublimation being the chemistry term for a direct change from solid to gas, without passing through the liquid stage.

Which is what is happening to the crystals when you heat them up.

Take a look at the transition from dihydrate to anhydrous Oxalic acid as it is heated here https://youtu.be/zyB0dlXy0GY

Don't forget gloves!
(Though I've had a glass or two, :blush5: so I may have missed them... Yes, I know it's early, but I've been up since 4.00 so, if I add a few hours, I don't feel so guilty!!

Gloves.. deer god i only wear those when walking the pooch in -10 which is not very often, i do however wear a £30.000 full suit that i bought from NASA. it was seconds though so i will report next year if it work's, after my next gassing spell.

Gloves.. deer god i only wear those when walking the pooch in -10 which is not very often, i do however wear a £30.000 full suit that i bought from NASA. it was seconds though so i will report next year if it work's, after my next gassing spell.

:icon_204-2:
great for practicing your "moon walking" !:icon_204-2:

What's a good battery for using when treating 10 hives? Mine is rubbish.

What's a good battery for using when treating 10 hives? Mine is rubbish.

A decent Caravan battery should do the job easy,do not get one with carbon plates inside though,they are pretty light but expensive and the one i bought did not last two minutes for my caravan.

I asked at my local garage if he had any old batteries with some life left in it. Cost nothing. No problem. Still plenty of oomph left after doing 8 hives.

Latest posts

Back