BBKA membership

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they adding a surcharge to the Direct membership to encourage people to join the local associations??
I suppose it saves them doing the legwork themselves by getting the local membership secretaries to do it all!
Not sure of the current pricing, the individual price seems rather hard to find on their website for some reason... but when I was an individual member a few years back it definitely cost more than membership via the local association.

Not sure of the current pricing, the individual price seems rather hard to find on their website for some reason... but when I was an individual member a few years back it definitely cost more than membership via the local association.
I think it's over forty notes now.
It's a lot to pay for something to line a budgie's cage with

so for clarity, say I have 30 over wintered hives in 4 different apiaries. A few splits for swarm control, maybe a bit of queen rearing and collection of a few swarms would soon push that over 40 hive in total at peak. Even if this got reduced down for the coming overwinter, does that mean that whilst over 39 hive I would not be covered via BBKA third party liability, or once over 39 the insurance is null and void full stop?
Yes , wll include any increases no matter how temporary.

How is it cheaper if the LBKA membership includes the BBKA capitation (£21) as well as their own division capitation?

It is up to the LBKA and what fee they charge for membership, my LBKA is £33. A neighbouring county LBKA is almost double when I enquired.

My division are great, as with any club or association it depends greatly on the other members, I have been a member of other enthusiasts clubs in the past where they are full of prats with a messianic complex, mine could not be more different. The magazine is good, the access to interesting lectures is excellent and support I got when starting was worth a decades membership. £30 odd does not get a lot now, if you are finding your division are rubbish, change, in UK the physical distance between them is tiny.

I think it's over forty notes now.
It's a lot to pay for something to line a budgie's cage with
I've just checked and my renewal this year for our local BKA was over £40. But you know I've definitely had my money's worth.

Going back to OP's original questions, you don't have to go to every meeting, there's enough choice on for there to be something for everyone.
Over the last year we've had a skep making day with Chris Park, microscopy days with a nationally renowned microscopist who brought along equipment worth tens of £1000s so that we could learn with decent stuff, community events just for the fun of it, etc etc etc.
The NBU run a Disease Day for us every year so people can keep up to date.
Like the OP, we have deaf members as well. Not an excuse to be alienated.

You may be at a point where you don't need any help from mentors but it's nice to be able to offer help to newbees and feel part of the community.

I don't read the magazine but that's no loss and is not really what I'm paying for.

Other people may have different experiences but if they don't like their local BKA there are usually others within a reasonable driving distance.

I purely use my LBKA membership for the BBKA TPI, I have no other interest in the LBKA . It is the cheapest route for me to go.

I purely use my LBKA membership for the BBKA TPI, I have no other interest in the LBKA . It is the cheapest route for me to go.
Horses for courses. Either way you're getting something out of it.

This thread has mainly focused on the insurance benefits of membership but the other benefits are there for anybody who wants them.

It is up to the LBKA and what fee they charge for membership, my LBKA is £33. A neighbouring county LBKA is almost double when I enquired.
I’m surprised at that does the local vary up and down the country ?
I don’t think I payed that much.

Of the 12 cases cited by Frimston, seven are British, two American, and one from Ireland, Canada and New Zealand.

Parker v Reynolds (Birmingham Assizes, 1906) claiming an injunction for nuisance: jury agreed, and costs were awarded against the beekeeper.
Kearry v Pattinson (Court of Appeal, London, 1938) held that a beekeeper had no right to go on his neighbour's land to re-take a swarm.
Johnson v Martin (Cambridge County Court, 1950) an action for damages for the death of a goat. Case dismissed, though the bees did kill the goat and put the goat-owner in hospital.
Ingamells v Pickford (Leicester County Court, 1966) where damages were claimed and an injunction sought: usual neighbourly ding-dong; Judge guided by case law in Bimingham in 1906 and found for the defendant beekeeper.
Tutton and others v A D Walter Ltd (high Court, 1984) in which damages were claimed for injury to bees by crop spraying; judgement for plaintiff beekeepers.
Tickner v White (Tunbridge Wells County Court, 1983) in which damages and an injunction were sought as a consequence of stinging. Claim dismissed, costs to defendant beekeeper.
Newark & Sherwood District Council v a Beekeeper (1991) alleging that bees were a nuisance. Judgement for plaintiff + costs.

Sweeney is a different kettle of fish, having been self-published, un-edited. Jerry Burbidge (Mr Northern Bee Books) saw me looking through it at a National Honey Show some years ago and told me that the writing needed sorting and cutting; Noel Sweeney, LL.B Dip. Crim. I M.A, was adamant that it should not, so NBB declined to publish. It is now out of print, which will spare you the ploughing of Noel's heavy soil in which are buried 68 cases. If the book had been written by Rumpole it would have cut to the chase and amused on the way, but as it is...

Frimston & Smith is worth £7 of anyone's money, but maybe not to a beekeeper who can't be bothered with £30 of PLI.
That's a useful summary. Thanks.

£7 for a book on the law makes it almost attractive, but I've been disposing of such things this last 10 years.

Can you share the name please? It's not uncommon to take out additional associate BKA memberships sometimes for the newsletter or access to talks and events.
You don't have to join their particular division. Joining as a Somerset county associate gives you access to all their talks, events and newsletters.

Actually their online talks are free to everybody but the £8 assoc membership gives you access to the recordings of any you missed.

Because free that's some kind of discount for the local association. You can't join the bbka as a direct debit and member for £21.
Ah, I didn't realise that. All the membership fees are listed elsewhere on the BBKA website, and they don't mention there that these rates only apply if joining through a local BKA.

I'm assuming 'debit and' above is a typo :unsure:

I'm assuming 'debit and' above is a typo :unsure:
Yes! Should have been 'direct member'!

EDIT
just went back to add a footnote to that post but found it's not the same as the quote you used anyway, it actually reads:

"Because that's some kind of discount for the local association. You can't join the bbka as a direct member for £21."

So I'm at a total loss as to how that quote was generated but it appears not to be what I wrote!

Last edited:
Perhaps BKP saved the quote using the +Quote button before your edit yesterday afternoon but only got round to posting later?
Possibly, I did wonder that myself, but I think the only edit was to add the quote from the BBKA website.

Sorry, can't help. The post was done at the time, but on my phone, and lateish. Whose to say what weird thing I wangled.
Sometimes when you reply to a post especially on a phone your finger may wander or skip along without noticing and you are all of a sudden adding text to the post you quoted.
Invariably you do notice and go back to remove it and might miss a few letters or even a whole word.
Might that be the answer?

Sometimes when you reply to a post especially on a phone your finger may wander or skip along without noticing and you are all of a sudden adding text to the post you quoted.
Invariably you do notice and go back to remove it and might miss a few letters or even a whole word.
Might that be the answer?
Sounds pretty likely to me. No harm done anyway.

Back