Thieving bar stewards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Had a modern beekeeping jumbo Paradise Honey Beebox langstroth nuc, converted to 14 x 12, stolen over the weekend. Had a cast swarm in it, which may just about be laying by now.

Bar stewards actually replaced this hive with another - only it was timber and a different colour expecting it to not be noticed! So I expect it is some local that has just started beekeeping. I hope the lost bees from the moved colony found homes, but I suspect there were a fair number of casualties. Bar stewards.

One trouble is that the Lincs police are not even sure as to which force it should be reported to!

How appalling ...why do people steal bees anyway? It seems to me that there are lots of swarms ...just putting out a hive and you would eventually get one free! Perhaps it was the Nuc box they wanted.

Getting to be a regular occurrence but they don't usually leave an empty hive behind - perhaps their original intention was to just transfer the bees over to the Nuc they left behind and then realised that what was there was better ? Sounds like a one man job to me or they would have taken their 'donated' hive away as well. Police, on the whole, will show a somewhat lack of interest I suspect.

Really sad to hear this RAB....

Had a modern beekeeping jumbo Paradise Honey Beebox langstroth nuc, converted to 14 x 12, stolen over the weekend. Had a cast swarm in it, which may just about be laying by now.

Bar stewards actually replaced this hive with another - only it was timber and a different colour expecting it to not be noticed! So I expect it is some local that has just started beekeeping. I hope the lost bees from the moved colony found homes, but I suspect there were a fair number of casualties. Bar stewards.

One trouble is that the Lincs police are not even sure as to which force it should be reported to!

The sort of post which makes me think the Arab justice system has it's merits. Difficult to be a repeat offender with a hand removed.
:judge:

........they don't usually leave an empty hive behind - perhaps their original intention was to just transfer the bees over to the Nuc they left behind and then realised that what was there was better........

:iagree: Does seem a bit weird to leave an empty box. Taking the existing box leads to more chance of being found out I would have thought. Maybe they were disturbed and just took the easier option.

Regardless, it is disgusting behaviour and it sickens me to hear of bee thefts. All of the beekeepers I know are such lovely folk, I've yet to meet a dodgy one, but the evidence does often point towards somebody with beekeeping 'know-how' being involved. :(

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you've been raided. this is one of the reasons I have yet to get any bees - I can't keep them at home, and as yet haven't found anywhere that has good access, but seclusion, so a hive wouldn't be spotted and potentially taken.

Don't suppose the local plods offered to check for fingerprints on the hive left behind? Yes, the thief would have worn gloves taking the hive, but maybe handled his own or put into his vehicle at home without?

No, they didnt leave an empty hive behind! They moved one of mine to the same position (why the flying bees were likely lost). They stole the hive stand that particular hive was standing on! Bar stewards. Almost certainly, or very likely, looks like locals starting up.

There was another identical empty hive laying nearby (not moved it because it has/had a bumble colony in it) but that had not been disturbed, so was the bees and hive and a stand they were after. Notices for a reward, for first information leading to a conviction, will be going up on all the notice boards possible, very shortly. I know our local bee inspector, too. I don't think he likes thieves. Local BKA aware, too.

No, they didnt leave an empty hive behind! They moved one of mine to the same position (why the flying bees were likely lost).

Ahhh, I seeee. Makes more sense now and nicking an entire 'set-up', hive stand too explains the thought behind locals just setting up.

Good luck with finding them.

:sorry: Rab.
It appears that the UK is going down the tube. For decades we have left 'things' out in the fields and countryside with no issue, BUT now it's all fair game to the b' morons that we seem to be breeding.:rant:

:sorry: Now we have to ensure that all our sheds are locked before we go off site to keep the insurance co. happy. And what a PIA that is.

Just about sums up what this country is becoming. Bar stewards is right. As far as "bee keepers being lovely folk" though 'Jimmys Mum', I can assure you not all fit under that umbrella. Thieved Queens from club apiary, bits of kit 'borrowed' on a permanent basis etc.... There's a few wrong 'uns in all walks of life. (just look at MP's) Was not long ago where a poster on this very site mentioned a swarm he had procured which was taken away by another keeper as " a safety issue" in front of witnesses!
:mad:

Cheeky buggers

Makes me even more nervous trying to find an out apiary site, thinking the one I've been offered isn't going to be safe enough. Can't believe people actually steal bee hives, must know what they are doing with bees to be able to attempt it

Mind thoughts turn to scenes from Raider Of the Lost arc when thinking of way to stop this happening but sadly...if they want it they will get it.. Cordless angle grinders make short work of chains and locks......and I guess the law doesnt allow you shoot poachers now... and if you sat there for 6 nights waiting for them they'd come the next night...

Hidden trigger switches to turn on big flashing blue lights and sirens might scare them off...

Dishmop. You are looking at this the wrong way. The Law does not allow you to be found out after having shot poachers. If you are not seen and they are not found, where is the problem?:rules:

Ahhh, I seeee. Makes more sense now and nicking an entire 'set-up', hive stand too explains the thought behind locals just setting up.

Good luck with finding them.

+1 ... It makes you really sick ... this was someone who knew exactly what they were after and even tried to hide the fact that the hive had been stolen to give them more time (presumably) to hide the evidence ... Bar stewards .. hope you catch them RAB.

Sorry to hear about this.

I was thinking of trying to find somewhere to move my hives to, out of the garden but am having second thoughts when I read about people having to camouflage the hives and even disguise them from the air.

How big a problem is this, is it really as bad as it seems?

Latest posts

Back