The Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Omaha (blush)
I was there a couple of years ago .
Put it down to extreme age :) there is a sword/dagger monument as the GIs had to use their commando knives to scale the cliffs!
All the officers were in a couple of landing craft which capsized ,leaving the troops leaderless,, it took one guy to assume command on the beach and bring order to the chaos !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do what you need to do this week, as next week is colder

Staying with the WW2 theme...the above should have been the motto of the Wermacht armies on the Eastern front!

Hailstones and 5º in dumfries and galloway.... stroll on summer.
If we ever get one:sunning:

Hail this am . 13C now and bees flying..

Forecast to get even colder.

Time for bee thermals..

Not exactly beach weather here yet but it has been very pleasant, the bees are building well and even the rape is starting to flower, due to get a bit colder next week though :hairpull:

due to get a bit colder next week though

It has not really got much warmer here, well not compared to the east, so will just remain much the same...which is not too bad at all really.

Spring or not spring?

Just like other posters - bizarre weather here too. Sun it hot and when the wind is light - beautiful with full on buzzing bees. But yesterday lunch time - temp dropped and we had huge hailstones! Enough to make me go inside, wonder what a huge hailstone does to a bee:hairpull:

Bees are very busy in the warm bringing in lots of differently coloured pollen which is desperatly needed as we are down to one hive but cold rain and low temperatures mean they (and I) stay indoors!

The blackthorn is just coming out and I can see nice healthy buds on the hawthorn. Gorse in full bloom.
Bees are out on the willow when they can. I notice that the pond margins and one hedgerow have been planted with different species of willow all blooming at the same time and there is much more to come.
Our cherries and damsons are out but I don't see a bee on them....to windy where they are.
Week of 8˚ and frost forecast :(

Somebody was castigated as a scaremonger saying the cold weather would last till May... it looks like it will take till April 23rd to get above 15C.. and it will be 27th before 20c maybe...

That somebody deserves an apology (and burning at the stake for witchcraft) :)

Well - 'tis the 27th today - 8 degrees with a NNE (chilly or what ?) as I write this ... with a promise of 10 degrees - maybe - around midday.

Seems like they could do with a few witches over at the weather centre - their forecasting might be an improvement over the skills of the present lot.

LJ (currently on the lookout for a black cat and pointy hat)

I may have imagined it, but its been warmish for the past couple of weeks, or so I thought.

So the freezing weather didn't "last till May".
//Didn't London report +23C in the last day or two?

So, we've got a cool few days coming.
Changeable weather is pretty normal.
The solidly cold March wasn't.

Last edited:
So the freezing weather didn't "last till May".

Hailstones twice yesterday, three times so far today, laying like snow on the ground.

Any blossom on cherry trees ripped off with rain hailstones and wind.

Warm in the sun here but with a bit of a cooling breeze.

However, saw my first honey bees of the year, working the mahonia in the garden! And believe me, I have been looking for them every dry day, and have only seen bumble bees so far. My partner couldn't believe how excited I was about seeing them!

Dandelions only just flowered yesterday, more seem to have popped up today, only seen hoverflies on them so far though. Explained to my partner why I don't spray weeds.

Starting to become slightly more optimistic that I may be able to get some bees this year after all!

Back